Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-17-2021, 05:14 AM

Default Re: cmon Avid, it's time for hardware insert bypass

it can easily be done if you have a second audio stream going in parallel. I am not a software engineer for AVID but they should be able to reuse the code that works for "Quickpunch" - it is basically the same thing!

if you have Quickpunch activated you can easily switch between playback and the input of your interface without a loud click, this has nothing to do with physics but just requires a clever implementation, which AVID has already proven to be capable of.

It is ok if not everyone needs a new feature that comes out. For example, I hever use folder tracks even if everyone has requested this feature for many years. Hardware bypass on the other hand I would use daily, although I am well aware that it is not for everyone, in fact I would go as far to make a guess as that only 5% of all ProTools users use it at all :)
Old 10-17-2021, 05:26 AM

Now do not get me wrong here, I am being forcing the issue.

On the other end you can do "anything" if you give it enough time. This would of course upset the nazis that complain 32 buffer is making comb filtering.

On another end you think like a nerd and just for fun let's think for a while something that is completely absurd. The fact is, nobody cannot predict the future, so the absolutely least amount of latency is one sample. And within that one sample, if you bypass something you will get distruption on your playback.

Then bear with me. Let us assume there is something that need to be latency compensated, like routing of your mixer. The mixer has a certain setup that makes it happen, but it is fixed. If you want to change the mixer, you will either hear a pop or need to accept more latency to get it done within the buffer.

So please people, decide what you want. It is either lowest latency possible or greatest flexibility possible. You cannot get both.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Ok then … Enlighten us what artists you worked with that anyone here have heard of that fell for your ”i changed the buffer size” scam i really wanna know! If we did this we wiuld have NO JOB in this industry

And again LATENCY is a percieved occurance and not psychological if you know what you are doing!
Hi,
I respect and learn a lot from your posts, over many years.

In JFreak's defense, I worked at a place in Nashville where some of the uptight, audiophile, experts would come in and complain about pretty much everything....even when the entire chain was analog and tape.

We had a fake piece of gear that had a fader and a light. It was not hooked up to anything. It said "Fairchild" on the front.

When things got tweaky with the audiophiles, we would look at each other and say, "Insert the Fairchild?"...after patching in 4 dummy TT cables, we would hit playback and bring the fader up. 100% of the time, they would watch you turn up the fader, and say, "There it is!"

Not idiots, mind you....Pro's in the business.

It got to the point where I started hearing the improvement...
Old 10-17-2021, 04:53 PM

Wow!

”Some people” are weird ( not you but some artists ) but we never ran across this in any studio ever as it is pretty easy to hear 256 BF or more but as JFreak keep telling folks here on the forum he records his chruch choires at 512 sometimes and no one is complaining! Well those we work with would so we have to use a low latency system like our new Carbon which is amazing beyond everythong we ever used or heard!

I setup a guitar pro and he would to home if there was a buffer size of say 256 o more as guitarists in particular will hear latency straight away.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-17-2021, 09:18 PM

Doesn't hdx just send the cues pre mixer anyways? So it's never late regardless of playback buffer? I've never had issues with headphones latency using hdx as long as I don't have plugins on the master buss.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2021, 01:49 AM

Very rarely 512 is usable, but choir is a good example. 256 (at 48k) is my default setting as most of my sessions are live FOH mixing and cannot risk anything that may stop recording.

I have said over and over again that once you are below threshold of hearing echo, all is well. For me, monitoring at 512 is impossible but 256 is just fine. Rest of it is psychological, so I just test the artist, telling I fixed it with doing nothing, and most of the time -- assuming I have not mistakenly used heavy latency plugins -- the problem goes away by just telling it is fixed. If the artist still complains I go to 128 and having fixed it twice now, it always works.

There has only been one time when the drummer was so good he wanted to go to 64 setting to be happy. One time. And that was in studio so occasional hiccup can be tolerated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk