Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-08-2022, 08:12 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" finally enters the world

I ordered an ultra, but now I’m seeing the leaked geekbench results. Multi core looks great, but in my experience single core is way more important for what we do. Do you guys think that the two physical cpu’s will give better “single core”performance with pro tools than a single CPU in real use? Or… will we get the same old spike in the middle of the cpu meter? My current windows machine gets basically the same geekbench single core score. It’s really great, but I want this new computer to be a beast and a step up in power with the added bonus of iMessage!! Not just more of the same while using less energy. On my i9 iMac a few plugins with oversampling will cause constant cpu errors. I really hope that won’t be the case!!!

Last edited by thebeatless; 03-08-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Just announced Mac Studio looks killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
lol

Yeah, it does look amazing. I couldn’t resist. I bought one this morning. It should be here by the end of the month, if not a bit sooner. Can’t wait to try it. I’m just hoping it will be as compatible with Carbon and Ultimate 2021.12 as the mini has been for me. Plugin issues aside.
10 core or 20 core?
Old 03-08-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC Music View Post
Well it seems we have a 3 meter incoming soon… but is pricey!

https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/08/apple...-in-the-works/
That isn't that bad compared to the Corning ones that are 350.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
This new mac looks amazing and will probably be the eventual replacement for my souped up 5,1 Mac Pro when it is no longer viable. But it’s still kicking and running PT 2021.12 on Big Sur 11.6.4.

But until Avid gets at least the Complete Bundle working under Monterey, all this power is worthless for real production work. My brand new 14” MBP M1|Pro has been (un)patiently waiting to be able to be my traveling PT rig for almost 5 months now…
I have a MBP 14" pro as well, sitting. Haven't had much time to deal with it. Currently dealing with connecting to drives on my main system that every other system I have can see, but it won't. But it will screen share.

There are definitely some wrinkles in a multi system universe with Monterey.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
I bought one this morning. I have two M Pro 5.1s running now. Pro TOols HDX on the main one, Vienna Ensemble Pro on the other. Both High Sierra. Both 48 gigs Ram, both cranky as an old drunk on Monday morning. I bought the Ultra version with max RAM, 2TB HD. Doesn't deliver till mid April here in Canada. Currently sorting out PCI chassis, which I guess would be the Magma EB3T Express Box. It seems to work with everything. Loads to learn, but it would be so wonderful to dispose of VEP. Does anyone here have the Magma Express box? I'd like to load one of the other slots with an NVMe card with four 2 TB SSD's for virtual instruments. Sonnet looks great but I'm not sure it's compatible with the Magma box. I wrote Sonnet to find out.
I realize Monterey isn't supported yet. Obviously I'll keep my current sputtering and wheezing Millennium Falcon running with more chewing gum, gnashing of teeth and the occasional whack to the dashboard.
As far as Thunderbolt cable length, frankly, I would glue the monitor(s) to my forehead if it meant no more crashes or random oddities. And to be able to run my VI's without VEP and without trepidation. And dream of dreams? No more 9171s.
Also, from what I've heard, the Apple Silicon machines don't need anywhere near as much RAM as the old Intel guys do. I have big Spitfire libraries, Arturia, Omnisphere, Ivory, Trillian etc.
10 core or 20 core?

That's kind of a big deal considering the 10 core is about half the machine. Curious to know who is going 20 core 128 RAM as that is what I am looking at.

Waiting for the real world bench marks with audio.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
I ordered an ultra, but now I’m seeing the leaked geekbench results. Multi core looks great, but in my experience single core is way more important for what we do. Do you guys think that the two physical cpu’s will give better “single core”performance with pro tools than a single CPU in real use? Or… will we get the same old spike in the middle of the cpu meter? My current windows machine gets basically the same geekbench single core score. It’s really great, but I want this new computer to be a beast and a step up in power with the added bonus of iMessage!! Not just more of the same while using less energy. On my i9 iMac a few plugins with oversampling will cause constant cpu errors. I really hope that won’t be the case!!!
Who knows how much of your 'spike' is actually multicore processing that has been distributed across the available cores, or even specific to Pro Tools. Benchmarks are fun, but using the system is really the only way you'll ever find out in real life circumstances.

I would be surprised if you didn't seen some pretty decent improvements to performance. Pro Tools uses single core processing for some stuff... but that by no means makes it a single core application.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Well I believe a single chip multi core does better than dual cores. It think that has been proven.

This is a whole new game though. Now that there are efficiency core along side of high performance cores so maybe those single core processes are being done on the efficiency cores while higher processor activities are done on the high performance cores.

This is a COMPLETELY different architecture. The CPUs, GPUs, Neural Engine and RAM are all on one chip together.
There is no more x86 code other than through Rosetta 2.

As I understand it, being that they are one together in ARM, the communication between all these areas are much faster and cooler then running 2 CPUs, GPU's on a PCIe slot and RAM in their slots.

You are comparing Old Intel technology x86 to Apple M1's and they are completely different.

Granted, AVID has a lot under the hood to work on to get it Native and working better through Rosetta. As I hear now, you don't really get accurate CPU data in PT at this point.
So you have to look at if it is functioning more and what isn't in the interim.

Lower power and heat as well. I expected the 32 cores this year, but that might come next year. Look for the 64 cores as well.

I suspect a Desktop pro version with 64-128 cores and 512 or more gigs RAM plus in the next 5 years.

Might seem expensive thinking now, but I think it will probably stay around these prices.
I mean the Mac Pro with 16 cores, on older x86 tech is still more then the Ultra.

The difference this time is, we have some data and much better tech. MS is about 7-10 years behind in the ARM game as I've been told they are working on their own chips as well, but are way behind Apple.

So windows might be an x86 platform for quiet a while.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:54 AM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Going back over responses, here's my response:
I have one HDX card. I'm guessing I'll get a Magma PCI chassis to hold it.
I got the Ultra with 128 gigs of RAM / 2TB internal.
My understanding is that VI's use cores for processing and the more cores present the merrier. At least in Vienna Ensemble Pro that's true. From what I've heard, Apple Silicon uses RAM in a whole new way. Efficiency RAM is a clever idea
I'll be happy with two monitors .
I won't switch over until I'm sure it will work. I don't get mine till mid April (I'm in Canada now). My 5.1's are currently protesting in the street. They haven't burned down Parliament yet, but are threatening to do so. Wait! I take that back - they HAVE Burned down Parliament, stomed the Capitol a few times - and I've lost crucial work time.
I never got the correct video card to get past High Sierra. That could be part of it.
I"m really hoping I can avoid the two machine Vienna Ensemble Pro setup - as Pro Tools has been getting grumpy about having it instantiated. Not sure why that is. It worked great for years.
I've used Digidesign/Avid stuff since their very first products - synth sample editors! And Oh! The stories.
Any advice would be very welcome!!!
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 03-09-2022, 06:15 AM
Development Partner

Quote:
Or… will we get the same old spike in the middle of the cpu meter?
The CPU meter in PT is pretty close to worthless for this sort of measurement. Ages ago at a developer conference I had the meter explained to me. There's actually a bunch of stuff layered in there besides raw CPU load. We always end up with the lump-in-the-middle display, no matter what's really going on.

If you want an accurate look at core activity, then bring up the Mac Activity Monitor and be sure to watch the CPU history display. It displays two values for each core (because of hyper-threading) and will also show when a core is at capacity. You'll see that Pro Tools does a much better job of load distribution than the PT meter indicates. I have no idea why they persist with a meter that's so far from the truth.

NOTE: I should be clear that hyperthreading exists only in the x86 line and not in ARM (a completely different architecture, as others have said). Hyperthreading is a way the x86 gets around some complications in its prefetch and decoding queues. This is apparently not a problem in ARM, so there's no need to hyperthread. Back in my developer days, I measured hyperthreading to improve performance by no more than 30%. That's still not as good as the M1 architecture.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:13 AM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

All this makes me wonder what the new mac pro will be like (if there is to be one).

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.