Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-09-2016, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Commit always consolidating clips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing181 View Post
Ah … I'll answer my own question. I'd delete the post, but can't see how to do it … mods?

Anyway, it's because of the -144 dBFS noise floor. It seems that there are any number of plugins that have low level noise going on in the background, and I seem to use at least one of them on every track (e.g., Saturation plugin, Slate VMR or VTM etc.). These are enough to trigger the audio detection algorithm in Commit.

Any chance of a user-selected threshold, or a work around? Useless for me as it is.
What happens if you use a gate?
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Of course. But this is an hour-long session with a dozen or so Cues for a film with bits and pieces all over the place. It has to go to someone else for further editing, and having 40 or or so hour-long clips on each track would be catastrophic in terms of continuing to work with the material. It's essential that all the individual clips remain as they are, noise/saturation/etc. notwithstanding.
I understand. I can't see any other way around this but to exclude such plugins when commiting. Or, render volume/mute automation (that you'd have to write) to keep the clips separated when commiting.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
What happens if you use a gate?
I was just having this same issue with the commit feature this morning, I believe due to dither.

I threw on a gate with some very unobtrusive settings and it fixed the problem perfectly!

Perhaps a simple gate checkbox is something that could be added as an option to the commit dialogue, to increase its effectiveness?
Old 08-22-2016, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enda_Gallen View Post
Perhaps a simple gate checkbox is something that could be added as an option to the commit dialogue, to increase its effectiveness?
Something needs to be added to increase its effectiveness.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:17 AM

How about...

Commit track
Strip silence
Select files in clip window, select "Compact"

Not an ideal solution I know, but for now would reduce the size of your files considerably.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 AM

Responses #11 & #15 were my first two thoughts:

Either use a gate with an appropriate threshold to create complete silence, or strip silence at an appropriate threshold AFTER the fact. Both work, but I prefer the gate, as I can change the behavior of the opening and closing, possibly mitigating any unwanted side-effects of simply cutting off this low level noise.

Chris
Old 08-22-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Of course. But this is an hour-long session with a dozen or so Cues for a film with bits and pieces all over the place. It has to go to someone else for further editing, and having 40 or or so hour-long clips on each track would be catastrophic in terms of continuing to work with the material. It's essential that all the individual clips remain as they are, noise/saturation/etc. notwithstanding.
OMF/AAF export ??? i understand what you have been saying .. and what others say about low level noise ...

this is important ... as a test: what happens if you Commit each Clip individually ?? does it still make longer Clips due to low level noise ?? or are the Clips Rendered Cleanly ??

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 04-30-2017, 09:42 AM

Here there is some that can help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJOju1jWZs

I've same problem and this..works..!

Davide.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave81 View Post
Here there is some that can help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJOju1jWZs

I've same problem and this..works..!

Davide.
Great video.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:04 PM

The C1 Gate trick is great. Some additional notes:

Some plugins do weird things that don't show up on a meter. For example, inserting a meter after Waves Tune shows -inf. A plugin with self-noise(usually intentional analog noise) will show -90 to as much as -60.
With WavesTune, I've been able to bring the C1 up to -60 to -50 range and have the clips not consolidate. Anything lower than that and they get lumped into one clip Even though the plugin shows no sign of generating self-noise with no audio clips present.
I've noticed some other plugins are similar.

If commit could behave like AudioSuite and adhere to clip definitions as an option... This would be really really helpful.