Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-25-2022, 11:03 AM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Hoping to bring some data to the party:

Starting with Pro Tools 2022.5 (in Rosetta on the Ultra) 96khz Atmos session - 338 voices - immersive reverbs - lots of automation - 2048 sample buffer - Dolby Atmos Production Suite:

•On my old Mac Pro 6-core 6,1, this session couldn't make a DAMF master until I froze all the reverbs, half the plug-ins, and turned off headphone and re-render processing. Then, if I whispered magical incantations and didn't touch the machine, it could record a DAMF master. Then I took the session as it was and did the same thing on a Mac Studio Ultra, full spec. Looking at Activity Monitor:

Mac Pro 6-core 6,1 64GB RAM: Pro Tools CPU = 623.6% DAPS = 90.6% User = 62% Idle = 27%

Mac Studio Ultra 20-core 128GB RAM: Pro Tools CPU = 353.9% DAPS = 77.5% User = 25% Idle = 69%

•Then, I unfroze everything in the session, turned binaural and re-render processing back on and went back to Activity Monitor:

Mac Studio Ultra 20-core 128GB RAM: Pro Tools CPU = 585.0% DAPS = 125.2% User = 39% Idle = 54%

So what does this mean? Geekbench multi-core lists:

Mac Pro at 4,557
Mac Studio Ultra at 23,370

But if we hold that number from the Mac Pro steady at 4,557, and extrapolate from my unscientific test above, the Mac Studio Ultra is actually 11,300 (maybe Michael Carnes can check my math! ) And keep in mind that this is Pro Tools in Rosetta mode.

(2825 is 62% of 4557 and 2825 is 25% of 11,300)

Last edited by reichman; 06-26-2022 at 07:58 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-25-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
We all can get to a point where we think our word is the only truth. It's human to be that way and human to get bothered by it in others.
Ah yes ye ole human condition I will leave it that..

Quote:
Getting back to PT. It is not clear to me that any gains in computing power translate in a linear fashion to better performance in Protools unfortunately. It is strictly PT experiences that I hope to learn more about.

Looking forward to hearing from those who are just now getting a Mac Studio.

C
Not Mac Studio but I can start comparing my system below with my M1 Pro 14" MBP w/ 16 GB memory and 1 TB storage .. Now that I just got the dual dongle adaptors to be able to connect my Avid Carbon to my MBP.. I can get and idea of how that relates and compares as far as PT.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-27-2022, 07:07 AM
Development Partner

I've run into an edge case where I can hear the fans. Do I win something?

I'm using iZotope RX to do some offline cleanup (I'm restoring a number of old cassettes--pity me). Currently it's spectral noise removal and de-crackle that push it. RX is pretty good at loading up every single processor core to get a job finished quickly. Activity Monitor shows all cores at maximum.

The fan comes on soon after the job pegs Activity Monitor. and goes off about a minute after the process has completed. It's not bad--a little under 50dBA at about a meter--but it's still pretty noticeable. I still haven't heard the fan in a mixing or editing situation (and I work at very low levels). I'll point out a couple of things: my now-departed 2019 Mac Pro sounded like a 737 on the runway in the same situation. And this is the MacBook Pro Max. The Mac Studio has what's claimed to be a better thermal system and fan. So I'll be very interested in hearing what people experience with it in similar situations.

I suspect this sort of work (VIs aren't the only thing I use) that will really take advantage of an Ultra. While it might not be twice as fast, it will be darned close.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
my now-departed 2019 Mac Pro sounded like a 737 on the runway in the same situation.
Really? I was under the impression that those machines stayed quiet no matter what.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:57 AM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Really? I was under the impression that those machines stayed quiet no matter what.
I kept it in a closet/machine room a wall away. For mixing or regular PT stuff it would stay quiet. But if I really pushed it hard with RX or a video encode it was "tray tables closed, seats in upright position".

PS - I should add that there were 3 full-sized PCI cards in the box for M.2 and SSDs. No HDX.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I kept it in a closet/machine room a wall away. For mixing or regular PT stuff it would stay quiet. But if I really pushed it hard with RX or a video encode it was "tray tables closed, seats in upright position".

PS - I should add that there were 3 full-sized PCI cards in the box for M.2 and SSDs. No HDX.
Ha !! when I am doing video my 2020 iMac sounds like a twin Cessna

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-28-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings79 View Post
Co-OP? No. OffTheWall was the OP. You commented 8min after his OP...

It was just a general discussion about the machine.

Gather away Eric..
Not that it matters, but two separate threads were started and the mods combined them into this one. And not that it matters, but my thread asked questions and began the queries whereas the other - yes, 8 minutes earlier, not that it matters -- was simply the announcement. Not that it matters.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:44 AM

The Studio Ultra has finally been moved into the studio after several days of installation and configuration and it's running incredibly well. I can't remember having so few hiccups relative to so the amount of work involved and I've been setting up computers since '84. Brilliant machine.

It absolutely screams! Restarts, PT starts, plugin loading, edit window navigation, bouncing, etc. Yes, everything. And CPU loads have remained low though I have yet to do any kind of scientific test (because at this point I don't care -- it's handling my largest sessions with a breeze).

This was a complete fresh installation. I don't know that I could possible have been more diligent with each step, ensuring that everything is honed and operating properly without excess. Nearly every installer came fresh from the developer so that the latest/greatest was always used. The only thing that migrated from the old machine was the sample drive which contains all samples. This made life easier. And iLok was a savior here. The biggest hassles came in dealing with authorization codes and contacting tech support to get them sussed out.

This was done while producing an active gig, I simply installed the necessary elements to get that session open, so I could work, then I continued with the rest as time permitted.

I'll be back with more info as time permits. All in all, I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I've run into an edge case where I can hear the fans. Do I win something?
I'll send you a Snickers bar because you are indeed a winner. I've not heard a sound from this thing in 5 days. I very faintly hear my TimeMachine drive (a platter drive) but that's it.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I've not heard a sound from this thing in 5 days. I very faintly hear my TimeMachine drive (a platter drive) but that's it.
Good news, thanks Eric.. My one room set up definitely benefits from as little computer noise as possible .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...