How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-25-2022, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Jimi Hendrix "Are you Experienced?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Sacrebleu! Where is your authenticity? You should be doing that on 4 track 1" machine.
Yes that's correct haha!

Probably more realistic in modern times to at least have 2 inch 16 or 24 track for a "modern" production. Or just NOT use tape!
Old 06-26-2022, 10:26 AM

Didn't Led Zeppelin and the Beatles do reverse audio with some vocals and religious folks claimed it was demonic voices? Be careful with what you play with .

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 06-26-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax Productions View Post
Yeah just record your session onto some 2 inch, flip the reels over, record your backwards guitar sitar whacky thing, flip the reels back to normal, dump it back to pro tools!
I've done this on 2" 24-track tape - you have to be careful what track you record on as the track order is reversed! (track 1 becomes track 24)

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 06-26-2022, 11:11 AM

Old 06-26-2022, 01:33 PM

Speaking of tape. I don't know why Avid has not shipped useful tape related emulation. I imagine something similar to Heat...

One feature would be "Tape End". The plugin knows what tape drive and size it's emulating and puts hard stops into the session. And will abruptly stops tracking when it hits end of tape. It could include a pre-recorded voice shouting at people for screwing up.

"Tape View" mode on an audio track, instead of waveform or clip view you get to look at a blank brown/grey track. You can mark it with a grease pencil tool and cut with a razor blade tool and splice with a splice tool.

"Print Though" feature. It knows the tape reel diameter and where stuff is on the tape and if you record hot to tape it will print that through to adjacent tape. Who wants to leave tape sitting in storage for years waiting for this to happen?
Old 06-26-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Speaking of tape. I don't know why Avid has not shipped useful tape related emulation. I imagine something similar to Heat...

One feature would be "Tape End". The plugin knows what tape drive and size it's emulating and puts hard stops into the session. And will abruptly stops tracking when it hits end of tape. It could include a pre-recorded voice shouting at people for screwing up.

"Tape View" mode on an audio track, instead of waveform or clip view you get to look at a blank brown/grey track. You can mark it with a grease pencil tool and cut with a razor blade tool and splice with a splice tool.

"Print Though" feature. It knows the tape reel diameter and where stuff is on the tape and if you record hot to tape it will print that through to adjacent tape. Who wants to leave tape sitting in storage for years waiting for this to happen?
How about an emulation of the sticky Ampex 456 tapes of the 80's where the DAW starts screeching and won't play the session until you virtually "bake" the tape/tracks??

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 06-26-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
How about an emulation of the sticky Ampex 456 tapes of the 80's where the DAW starts screeching and won't play the session until you virtually "bake" the tape/tracks??
Oh heck yes. Shedding should be included. Everything you run the tape the signal degrades. Going to cut down on folks wasting lots of time tweaking and tweaking and tweaking stuff in Pro Tools.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:03 AM

I don't understand the lack of ambition expressed here.

I want a sim for 8 track 1/4 inch tape. It needs to sound lousy, whatever you do. SNR must be 60dB or less. It should sound worse on a Wednesday for no apparent reason.
Then I want to be able to pay a huge amount for an upgrade to 8 track 1/2 inch tape. This will let me release commercially successful hits with almost no bass (a la Sweet Dreams are Made of This, Eurhythmics). But most importantly, any sign of a lack of talent, (resulting in multiple overdubs, incorrect levels etc), should result in hiss, conspicuous wow & flutter and generally poor sound. It's important the plug-in prevents you from correcting any of these after the fact.

Dominic
Old 06-27-2022, 05:54 AM

And some adjustments for out of skew / azimuth and dolby nr errors would be nice. And running over splices because all your experimenthal stuff has to be recorded on non virgin badly magnetised stock :)
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 06-27-2022, 09:28 AM

And there needs to be a setting where the editing tape comes apart at the splice and that flapping sound happens at the take up reel. Plus the slowdown that can happen when using different sized reels because, well, someone else took the one you needed. And if you have two decks with a cross over tube, the pinging sound when the tube goes microphonic.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction