Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 06-25-2022, 10:59 PM

Default S4 and Studio One

Has anyone tried using Studio One with the S4? I'm looking to build a studio and Looking at the S4 to control PT and S1.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 06-26-2022, 03:32 AM

Default Re: S4 and Studio One

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
Has anyone tried using Studio One with the S4? I'm looking to build a studio and Looking at the S4 to control PT and S1.
As far as I know, Studio One does not support EUCON at all..
Old 06-26-2022, 11:24 AM

Can it do any MCU

Old 06-29-2022, 05:43 AM
Avid

MCU - I presume you are referring to Mackie Control. No - it is not possible to use HUI or Mackie Control with S4 or S6.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-06-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
MCU - I presume you are referring to Mackie Control. No - it is not possible to use HUI or Mackie Control with S4 or S6.

best,

Jeff
Thank you.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:58 PM

Ok. So I took matters in my own hands, been reviewing and looking at videos and stuff because remember that there was something a long time ago at an event that EuCon should be compatible with Mackie control. So I downloaded the EuCon app, and loaded it on my samsung Tablet and did a few settings to see if it will work with help with a video.

I Got it to work!

It does full transport, Faders, and even a few other features that I just tested. It instantly recognizes the DAW as the APP instantly changes and populates.

Metering so far doesn't work but I'm going to guess there is a Setting like in Mackie Control I have to figure out. But this "Should" Mean that at a minimum It should work with the Avid Control and Avid S1.

I'll do some more test, and if anyone want to help me out if you have equipment let me know.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:02 AM

Hui Mackie = no meters if used with Eucon!
Eucon will have meters.
Old 07-16-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Ok. So I took matters in my own hands, been reviewing and looking at videos and stuff because remember that there was something a long time ago at an event that EuCon should be compatible with Mackie control. So I downloaded the EuCon app, and loaded it on my samsung Tablet and did a few settings to see if it will work with help with a video.

I Got it to work!

It does full transport, Faders, and even a few other features that I just tested. It instantly recognizes the DAW as the APP instantly changes and populates.

Metering so far doesn't work but I'm going to guess there is a Setting like in Mackie Control I have to figure out. But this "Should" Mean that at a minimum It should work with the Avid Control and Avid S1.

I'll do some more test, and if anyone want to help me out if you have equipment let me know.

That is generally expected behaviour. There are two types of EuCon surface. The smaller stuff uses EuControl and has some limited HUI functionality. It is very rough compared to proper EuCon support though, probably because HUI itself is 25 years old (Avid have replaced it twice now).

The bigger desks like the S4 and S6 use WSControl, not EuControl. There is no HUI. Spending tens of thousands on such powerful desks, to then use them via HUI would be a bit like putting training wheels on a Harley Davidson.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
That is generally expected behaviour. There are two types of EuCon surface. The smaller stuff uses EuControl and has some limited HUI functionality. It is very rough compared to proper EuCon support though, probably because HUI itself is 25 years old (Avid have replaced it twice now).

The bigger desks like the S4 and S6 use WSControl, not EuControl. There is no HUI. Spending tens of thousands on such powerful desks, to then use them via HUI would be a bit like putting training wheels on a Harley Davidson.
Most desk uses HUI. And Harley Riders do need training wheels!

Old 07-21-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Most desk uses HUI.
That is exactly why people who use EuCon desks don't use it. Because EuCon isn't like HUI and 'most desks'. HUI was created in 1997 by Digidesign/Avid and Mackie in a joint venture. It was abandoned a few years later by Digidesign in favour of far superior ethernet based control protocols.

Most desks use HUI today not because it is good, but because it is public domain (Avid refuse to license Eucon to hardware developers), and very cheap to implement as a result of being a limited 8-bit protocol from 1997. You can literally build your own HUI controller with a $30 Arduino PCB and its freely available HUI libraries. HUI is so old, it is a hobby platform for people getting into electronics and computer coding...

It is a tragedy for everyone, really. As much as I love Eucon stuff, it is just plain weird that so many other developers keep making the same HUI based crap over and over and over again. It is all literally the same! HUI controller in 1997. Baby HUI. Steinberg Houston. CM Labs Motormix. Tascam US-2400. Mackie Universal Control. Behringer BCF2000. Behringer X-Fader. SSL UF8... etc. etc. etc. The same HUI-based trash over and over and over again for 25 odd years now.

If those hardware developers ever pulled their finger out and actually bothered creating something new and inspiring, we might have an interesting DAW controller market out there. There might be some healthy competition. But here we are. With hugely deep, highly configurable, expensive WSControl surfaces or rubbish, 25 year old HUI designs...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.