Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-30-2020, 03:44 AM

Default MIDI editor selection bugs

Hi all,

I couldn't tell if this had been covered elsewhere, but is anyone else finding the MIDI editor in 2020 buggy?

Specifically around selecting and copying notes:

1) If I select a group of events starting at beat 1, the first event sometimes deselects itself. This makes selecting and moving short passages really annoying...

2) When copying events around, sometimes the beat 1 entry doesn't paste. Video (hopefully) is here -> https://youtu.be/jRgfzFYihWw

3) Copied events sometimes seem to be linked to the original. So any changes then made to the copied event get mirrored in the original and vice versa. I didn't think PT had mirroring/cloning, and certainly not just from Alt-dragging a note!

All of these seem to be random events.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

PT 2020.5, Windows 10 latest, Intel i9-9900,
Old 08-30-2020, 07:07 AM

Default Re: MIDI editor selection bugs

Hi Ben, the first problem you describe is an ancient limitation of the way PT handles audio sample rate vs MIDI time code. You will find many discussions of that problem going back years. My advice to you, is to do what I did- get into the habit of offsetting your edits by a sub value- so for example, I often cut and paste midi by selecting a region that's 1/8th or 1/16th note before the data I need. That way I never lose the first note. Besides the limitation I mentioned, this method also accounts for MIDI that you have not quantized. I'm a keyboard player and I often don't want my MIDI performances quantized, which means stuff doesn't quite land on the beat. My technique will save you much aggravation, and once you get used to it, you will find that it won't slow you down, either.

The second problem you describe, I have also encountered, and like you said, it's inconsistent. I would be interested to hear if anyone else can explain why it happens, or if it's just a bug.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:14 AM

Default Re: MIDI editor selection bugs

Hey Phil,

Good to know I'm not alone in that second problem. Seems really odd!

As for the selection thing, what I'm seeing happens even if I select all around the notes. So (say) in the piano editor I've drawn in four 1/16ths starting perfectly on beat 1. I then draw a box around them to select them all. I'd expect to see all four selected, however I often only see the last three. The first one, despite being dragged over, somehow gets 'unselected' as if the note isn't really there?!!

I've never had this happen in previous versions of PT, offsets or otherwise...