Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-18-2006, 02:00 AM

Default Blue Screen, then crash after click on icon

I have just brought an m-box1(second hand, but looks to be in good nick) with Pro-tools LE 6.1 for windows.

I followed all windows setup, installation instructions etc etc. and installed pro-tools on my laptop.
Now after restarting my comp, turning it back on, and clicking on the pro-tools icon on my desktop... a blue error screen with writing pops up (for 1 second, so can't read it) then my computer shuts offs... and restarts after a 5 second rest.
Same thing happens over and over. In my instruction manual, it lists an error in trouble shooting:

If after installing pro tools LE and Quicktime, your computer crashes with a blue screen, use 'add/remove programs' to uninstall pro-tools LE and Quicktime. Then, repeat the installation instructions in ' installing pro tools LE'

Now I have reinstalled many times, but still when I go to run pro tools, it crashes my computer.

I am running an ACER3002WLMi Laptop (That is the NZ model number.. may be different overseas). It is a 1.6Ghz AMD sempron processor, 768mb Ram.

I run windows XP home, with service pack 2.
Could the fact I already have quicktime installed affect pro tools?

Does pro tools 7 work on an MBox-1, as I have a friend with a pro tools 7 installation CD, and he had his MBox2 stolen. Would I be able to install that, and run it with my mbox1 if I can't fix this problem (Although I would really like to fix it!!)

Cheers
Stephen
Old 07-18-2006, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Blue Screen, then crash after click on icon

For running Pro Tools on SP2, you need to be using at least 6.4cs9.

Here's the free solution for you:
  1. Download and install 6.4
  2. Download and install the 6.4cs6 plugin update
  3. Download and install the 6.4cs9 program update
  4. Download and install the Documentation
  5. Download and install the latest PACE interlok drivers

Using 7 would (IMHO) be better, but I'm not sure about the legality of using your friend's.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 07-22-2006, 01:23 AM

I'm having the exact same problem except I can't seem to get to the PACE website. Do I have such bad luck that when I decide to install protools on my new computer the website is down so I can't update the PACE drivers to stop this crash. Updating up to 6.4 doesn't seem to help at all. Digidesign really dropped the ball on this one. Why don't they have their own fix?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:32 AM

Their fix was to upgrade the version of Protools to 6.4cs9 which I believe included a new PACE driver. The PACE driver can be updated separately however, therefore it is mentioned separately here. The problem is that you are running an older version of software on an updated operating system. When Service Pack 2 was released (about two years ago now), that is when this problem first appeared. It is advisable to upgrade your version of Protools. Not just for the sake of upgrading but for the new features and compatability with other newer technologies like Service Pack 2 and bug fixes.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3