How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-24-2020, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Will PT202x have Midi 2.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
I like the way MIDI is implemented in ProTools. It's the best inline MIDI editing implementation that I'm aware of.

I would like to see it kept bug-free and responsive. There have been versions where certain features were broken (realtime volume controller response, for example) or there were problems with slowdowns editing & displaying data. And of course problems with hosting VI's at low buffers.

Every time people get into a discussion about what PT MIDI is missing in terms of features, it sounds like a lot of esoteric stuff that I don't need or even want. I think Avid did a good job of implementing MIDI in a way that played off existing strengths (great clean UI, great inline editing.) I can see how some people might want an arpeggiator or drum channel, and if they can do it without introducing bugs, I wouldn't care either way. Been a MIDI user since 1991 or so. Wow, coming on 30 years. :0
Same here with some of the extra 'features' people talk about. Talking about broken MIDI - how about the way the MIDI event list got screwed up with every version past 2019.6? That's the last one the event list worked right. Started a support case with Avid and they've been able to repro the problems, particularly with deleting multiple events at one time. That's why I stayed there even given that later versions of PT have track folders which I'd like to make use of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Having come from DP and then Logic, I like Pro Tools MIDI, and I don't need it to do a lot. But a few very basic edit capabilities would be great.

In the Main Edit Window (not MIDI editor), if you cut an area in the middle of a sustained MIDI note, nothing happens to the actual note, just the block gets cut.

In other software such as Logic Pro, an option window appears that says "Do you want to keep, shorten, or split the notes that cross the point where the region is being split."

Can we have this functionality in Pro Tools?
I picked up on DP when Avid started the subscription nonsense. It's an efficient program cpu usage-wise but it's MIDI editing is a right pain in the butt. You can't move blocks of MIDI data around like in PT. No true instrument tracks and an overly busy gui with small fonts. Phooey on that. I'll take PT's MIDI workings over DP any day of the week.

QAPLA!
Old 08-24-2020, 05:32 AM

I absolutely LOATHE the way the dow/up arrow keys are now sometimes "Set selection start/end during playback" but sometimes "Move selected MIDI note up/down", depending on whether you happen to have "notes" view on or not. Absolutely rotten piece of engineering.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:51 PM

I still say the cursors in the midi edit window are too hard to see, but other than that I like it the way it is.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:34 PM

Apart from midi 2 I would be happy to see a fix for the rounding error on midi. I'm maintaining pt updated (by spending about 400 per year) and I still work on pt11 because of this.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I like the way MIDI is implemented in ProTools. It's the best inline MIDI editing implementation that I'm aware of.
Huh. I guess it's all in what you need. There are still many MIDI features I miss from Power Tracks Pro on Windows in the early 1990s. It was a $15 program at the time, probably like $30 now. And Studio Vision blew everything away until Gibson (may they rot forever) bought Opcode and promptly killed it. I still wonder who had what on whom to make that happen.

In terms of current top tier DAWs, Logic makes most types of MIDI production far quicker and more convenient than PT does. It's almost universal among film composers to write in Logic and export stems for someone to mix in PT.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 08-30-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Huh. I guess it's all in what you need. There are still many MIDI features I miss from Power Tracks Pro on Windows in the early 1990s. It was a $15 program at the time, probably like $30 now. And Studio Vision blew everything away until Gibson (may they rot forever) bought Opcode and promptly killed it. I still wonder who had what on whom to make that happen.

In terms of current top tier DAWs, Logic makes most types of MIDI production far quicker and more convenient than PT does. It's almost universal among film composers to write in Logic and export stems for someone to mix in PT.
I used Voyetra, Master Tracks, and then Studio Vision for a number of years. Studio Vision Pro was good for the time, and the guy behind it (‎Dave Oppenheim) went on to design the MIDI implementation in ProTools. I believe he still consults for Avid. That may be part of why I generally like the MIDI implementation in ProTools. It many ways it's quite similar to SVP. What features from SVP do you miss?

I have to disagree that Logic is universal for scoring. I've had long professional experience with scoring in different parts of the business, and I just have not seen that.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:28 AM

I too miss SVP so very much. It was way ahead of its time for MIDI. The "Convert MIDI to Audio" and "Audio to MIDI" were just brilliant.

Pro Tools MIDI gets a bad rap, and its mostly undeserved. However, during the horrid V11 and V12 it was quite useless with the timing. I have been toying with Logic recently and it is a very powerful MIDI machine.

Quote:
I used Voyetra, Master Tracks, and then Studio Vision for a number of years. Studio Vision Pro was good for the time, and the guy behind it (‎Dave Oppenheim) went on to design the MIDI implementation in ProTools. I believe he still consults for Avid. That may be part of why I generally like the MIDI implementation in ProTools. It many ways it's quite similar to SVP. What features from SVP do you miss?
Old 08-30-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Grade View Post
I have been toying with Logic recently and it is a very powerful MIDI machine.
That's because it has been built as MIDI sequencer to begin with. Audio is just an add-on. PT is just the opposite.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:02 PM

Except that Pro Tools has had 20 years to catch up to Logic's MIDI. It's really just a matter different priorities at this point.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2065 View Post
Maybe a bit premature but could the boffins at Avid be working on Midi 2.0, at least the early stages. Maybe why midi has not got much love, they are saving it all up. Could also be 5 years down the track. Steinberg are definitely working on it.
By the time MIDI 3 rolls out Pro Tools should be just starting to support MIDI 2. If one needs MIDI that deep this isn't the tool. The adoption of the new spec will be driven by the samplers and controllers more than DAWs. Seeing how the spec just came online and now a pandemic we're several years out. We're neck deep in MIDI as much as anyone in the business for music creation and performance as well as show control. Show control has well moved on to OSC or other modern control technologies. I haven't seen any smoke from either composers or conductor/band leader types that even hints of MIDI 2 adoption for music anytime soon. Only the geekiest know or care about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I feel pretty much the same way. Many of our productions are at least half MIDI, and all are done in Pro Tools.
We're seeing the opposite. I don't think we've created and launched a show in the last ten years or so that used Pro Tools for content creation or playback. It's mostly Live these days but some Logic for creation or playback. We use Pro Tools to track some shows. The larger live music shows multitrack every show but these days only a handful use Pro Tools. We use it when we're doing film or TV to maintain compatibility but by and large we've moved off it. Pro Tools can do music creation but there are better tools that are more cost effective and have wider support within the music writing/creating world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That's because it has been built as MIDI sequencer to begin with. Audio is just an add-on. PT is just the opposite.
I don't think that's a fair assessment of either the current versions of Logic or Live. They aren't audio to picture tools but for creation and recording of music either is just as capable and in some ways more capable particularly for creation.

Avid has maintained the tape deck paradigm for the most part (which is what I like about it). The other tools are more creator focused in the interfaces and feature sets and don't charge the premium that Avid commands for Pro Tools. I see Live and Logic as better recording and editing programs than Pro Tools is a virtual instrument music creation program.