Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 09-19-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Pro Tools Kills MIDI Out Messages

I have Pro Tools LE 6.9 running on Windows XP with a Digidesign MIDI I/O hardware interface.

When Pro Tools is not running, my keyboards correctly broadcast their MIDI OUT signal on all ports via the MIDI I/O interface. However, the MIDI OUT signal from the keyboard stops transmitting whenever I launch Pro Tools.

I suspect that it has something to do with the MIDI Studio Setup, but I can't figure out what's wrong. Any suggestions?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools Kills MIDI Out Messages

When you launch Pro Tools, it's going to take control of the MIDI IO so that it can route incoming and outgoing MIDI data to the proper ports. If you want your incoming MIDI data to be routed to all MIDI output ports, you'll have to create a MIDI track and assign it's output tab to all MIDI ports.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:22 PM

That didn't work initially, but unplugging the MIDI I/O USB cable from my PC and then reconnecting it with those settings did the trick. Thanks!!
Old 09-20-2005, 04:33 PM

Well, actually it still doesn't work ... unplugging and re-plugging the MIDI I/O resets the unit so that the keyboard can talk to the rack synth, but then Pro Tools freezes. It doesn't seem to matter how I've got the input and output tabs set up as far as I can tell.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Avid

Do you have a MIDI track created in Pro Tools? Is it record enabled (it must be record enabled to pass MIDI data...)? Is the output tab assigned to multiple ports and MIDI channels?

To multi-assign an output, hold down the 'windows' key while selecting another port and channel. If you want it to go to all ports and all channels, it could take you a really long time, as you have to add each port and channel individually.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:11 PM

Yes, I have a MIDI track created. I have "All" checked on the Input tab and "Emu E4X-1" selected on the Output tab. I record-enabled the track, but still no MIDI output at all on any port according to the MIDI I/O LED's. The track's volume slider is all the way to the top in the Mix window. I also pressed Rec/Play to start recording, but still no joy.

In MIDI Studio Setup I have "Ensoniq KS-32" set with MIDI input and output both set to "Digidesign MIDI IO 3". All Channels are enabled (i.e., they're colored light blue). For "Emu E4X", I have its MIDI input and output both set to "Digidesign MIDI IO 5". All channels are also enabled.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:34 PM

I noticed something else ... As I said before, I do not get MIDI outs through the Digidesign MIDI I/O unit when Pro Tools is running. I notice the same behavior when I run MidiQuest 9 (kind of like SoundDiver for Windows XP). It also "takes over" the MIDI I/O and suppressed MIDI outs just like Pro Tools did. Why is the MIDI I/O doing this and how can I keep the MIDI out messages from getting suppressed?