Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2002, 05:02 PM

Default Recycle w/ PT

Does anybody know how to import Recycle! files into ProTools? I've tied to Import Audio and Import Tracks and on both attempts it tells me that the file is not a PT file and is unreadable. If anyone has some answers or could direct me to a previous thread, I would be be forever grateful! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2002, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Recycle w/ PT

PT will not directly import Recycle files in the REX format. That's probably what you're trying to do and it's obviously not working. Only WAV and AIFF files can be imported into PT.

Having said that, you can do some file conversion from within Recycle itself. You can open a wav or a rex file and simply re-save it as a wav. The 'rex' format only works in Reason and perhaps the newer versions of Cubase and/or Logic.

Hope that helps.

pk
Old 10-02-2002, 07:09 PM

Thanks pk, I got it all figured out.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pk_hat:
PT will not directly import Recycle files in the REX format. That's probably what you're trying to do and it's obviously not working. Only WAV and AIFF files can be imported into PT.

Having said that, you can do some file conversion from within Recycle itself. You can open a wav or a rex file and simply re-save it as a wav. The 'rex' format only works in Reason and perhaps the newer versions of Cubase and/or Logic.

Hope that helps.

pk
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">REASON is probably the most popular "user" of REX files these days but REX is compatible with a large number of samplers and sequencer/DAWS. Cubase, starting with v3.7 can import REX files...I've been using it with that for several years...works great.

You can also import them into AKAI, SampleCell and a number of other hardware & software samplers as well.

How I use them with PTLE is import the file into my AKAI sampler and import the Groove Template, generated by Recycle, into PTLE. That Groove Template (a MIDI file controlling each of the copped up WAV's in the REX file) allows me to control the tempo of the loop.

Another way to use Recycle is to export your loop as a Soundfont instead of a REX file. Then I import the Soundfont into my softsampler (Creamware PowerSampler), import the Groove MIDI file, select the tempo I like and record it.

With the loop converted to a Soundfont by Recycle, you could simply load it into your Soundblaster, load up the MIDI Groove template, select the tempo you like and record away.

This method allows you to easily add any audio loop to your PTLE tracks after they've already been layed ( assuming that you recorded your audio tracks to the Grid in PTLE).
Old 10-03-2002, 11:54 AM

Oops. Correction...SampleCell doesn't import REX files. Recyle can EXPORT to SampleCell format.

Sorry about that.