Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2003, 12:17 AM

Default Bring back the Lexiverb!

Sorry Digi, Lexiverb smokes the ReverbOne.

I miss it now that I've gone HD.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Bring back the Lexiverb!

I completly agree with you; it's really a great loss when you go HD , no other reverb plug-in replace it
Old 04-07-2003, 02:10 AM

Definately.

It's the only complaint clients have when using our studio's HD rig.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:18 AM

Where is the problem Digi? License problems? Above 48 kHz? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 04-07-2003, 07:15 AM

There several factors to take in account here :

There is more money to be made developing chips and the software that goes with it and selling it in expensive boxes. Why would Lexicon write plugins for DSP chips that are not optimal for reverb application, have clients run 5 reverbs when having bought one plugin, and on top of it get ripped off by people who... well you know, people who don't care to buy floppy drives.

The real solution would be for Digidesign to team up with several companies (like Lexicon, TCworks, etc.) to put together some kind of LAN-TDM bus interface to interconnect hardware dynamically like the old lexicon (nubus?) hardware or the hard samplecell. The idea would be for that bus not to be computer hardware specific like PCI or nubus.
Remember MIDI ? What a lesson to be learned. Once invented it needed the clout of companies like Yamaha to impose that standard, but everyone benefited from that, even though at first sight some companies like Roland had developed their own stuff, fearful of economic fallout from interconnecting units from different manufacturers...

The key to all this is selling hardware. It is a sad fact that there is more money to be made from selling systems to studios who need plenty interfaces to mix on their Neve/ssl/etc., than to virtual 100% Protools configuration who can run a whole studio on 16 I/O

That is why I fear that it is going to be difficult getting the Lexiverb back for those running HD or PT6... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2003, 08:53 AM

I also miss it... but this is common digi policy: why port Lexiverb to HD when they can sell ReverbOne?!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:21 AM

If you are REALLY attached to some of your Lexiverb settings you can buy Altiverb, and capture your beloves settings and use them in Altiverb instead. Agree, takes more dsp/cpu and has less flexibility, but its a workaround. But i bet if you have Altiverb you'd probably use the Lexiverb settings less and use the 480L settings instead! I find myself doing that.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:29 AM

I've said this before. Lexicon and TC should come up with a 1U, 4 engine box with AES i/o and a HTDM plug-in that controls each engine (midi?). It could support different DAWs, they could sell their premium chips, and we would have the convenience of a plug-in with automation and instant recall.

sm
Old 04-07-2003, 09:47 AM

For the record. Lexicon simply licensed their name and didn't develop the Lexiverb. Not that matters if you like it; But don't confuse it with a Lexicon reverb.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:47 AM

I agree, Bring lexiverb back. I can't seem to make a patch like their Invertigo preset. The whole thing just rocked. I'm still looking for a reverb that's remotely close to Lexiverb and its offerings. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]