Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2003, 10:17 AM

Default Re: help! I need low end and stereo separation

This month's (feb) Recording magazine has a pretty good piece on stereo micing techniques.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:32 AM

It's hard to say, but here are some things to try:

1. You have the MaxxBass, so you should have PAZ. Slap on the analyzer (or at least the frequency piece) and check your range. If you see good activity below 200 HZ, you've got it.

2. The kick and bass could be walking all over each other, EQ-wise. Make sure they aren't both fighting for the same spaces (but don't get too drastic with the EQ if you don't have to).

3. If you are using MaxxBass and have the kick and bass loud enough, you should have plenty of lowend (it should be boomy, actually). Make sure your speakers don't rot.

4. How did you record the bass? Depending on how you created the two mono tracks, they may be phasing each other right out.

5. Although this shouldn't affect your low-end, get the cymbals and/or toms out of the middle. I don't know how you have your drum tracks arranged, but hi-hat/cymbal tracks and tom tracks shouldn't be going up the middle. Still, it depends on how you did it.

It could be any number of things, based on the information you provided. What kind of monitors are you using? How did you record your two bass tracks? How does the kick sound soloed? How about the bass? What does the PAZ tell you?

Need more info. From what you've said, you should be drowning in low-end.

PS. The last thing you want to do is fatten up the guitars. That's more low-end frequency competing for space. Roll off the low-end on all the guitars.

Also, you don't really need anything below 30HZ. Lose it. Removing the subharmonic content might actually help increase the bass definition, but I'm just shooting blindly here.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:56 PM

Hi Aziel
First of all Do factory music cds sound right? If there's no bottom end with prerecorded cds you may have a phase problem.
Are you using powered monitors? Are you connecting them with balanced cable from the 001 on the main outs?
Do you have a mixer in line?
Old 01-24-2003, 08:32 AM

well folks, I moved the drums (cymbals and toms) off-center and used Waves Q10 on the master fader...what a difference!! I think I'm on my way now, thanks everyone for the input!! (no pun intended)
Old 01-24-2003, 08:50 AM

Well,
I have a pair of powered Yamaha MSP5, i think i can hear a decent bottom (for the speaker size) i dont have a Mixer... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]