Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2002, 09:20 AM

Default Selling My Mac and Joing the PC WORLD..HELP

whats up guys. im sure my mac friends will hate me cuz of this. but i have an older mac. g4 400 1 gig ram 3 hard drives. M-Audio Delta 44 with a little behringer mixer. im running dp3 and honestly i just don't have enough power with that. i want to get up in the 18 - 24 track range. and i can't do that now. So im thinking. sell my mac which im sure i can get between 800 - 1000. i also have every piece of software (from audio to graphic to video) imaginable in there in its own separate drive.
so im gonna sell that and buy or build a pc. and also buy a 001. now what do i get. ive been a mac guy my whole life and i still plant o get a laptop to do all my graphic work. but im thinking switching to pc for my little home studio will be best. let me know what you guys think. and if i should also sell the delta 44. its brand new.

thanks
jason
Old 10-15-2002, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Selling My Mac and Joing the PC WORLD..HELP

Much thanks to Allen....Everything you need is at this link;

http://duc. digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=32;t=004858

In the old days we had to test every MOBO to see if it works....Now we have almost standardized this process by talking and debating here.

If i were you I would just build it myself. It would take you half a day and It is fun. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 10-15-2002, 10:11 AM

I built one w/parts from Thompsons Computer Warehouse, and have had no problems so far. I got an absolutely screamin' machine for about 2300.

Make sure you get Windows XP HOME EDITION...
Old 10-15-2002, 10:16 AM

i'd suggest building it yourself too.

you might want to wait a few weeks for protools 6, which will run on OS X. i hear that the performance (on the newer G4's) is far better than can be achieved in the Classic OS.

you could probably sell the delta if you're moving exclusively to protools but it might be handy to hang onto. there is no ASIO driver for the 001 at this stage and direct connect support is minimal so if you use soft synths, you might well be left out in the cold without it.

the mac also has a host of wonderful plug-ins not available to the pc, as well as a nifty little shell called The Ugly VSTi interface, which allows you to run vst instruments from within protools.

hope that helps a little
Old 10-15-2002, 01:47 PM

I'm also a mac convert who built my own PC. Although I did run into a problem, as a whole the PC-building process was fun and has proven to be the right decision for me. Just follow the recommendations in the link noted above and you'll be good to go.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Every other year I would upgrade to a faster computer only to discover three months later that Apple has put out something faster leaving me and thousands of others with the feeling that we just got screwed. Well, after fifteen years of getting screwed I finally saw the light and got a pc.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hi eye2iRt

i don't want to start another platform war
but i truly think that what you are saying
doesn't make any sense at all.
this same thing happens to all of us with
Intel and AMD too you know. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

i'm not taking any sides
i'll be using both platforms in my new studio.
and make the best out of it from each platform.

thanks,
CJ
Old 10-15-2002, 02:34 PM

Pixelrider, welcome, tha' a boy! Buy an AMD for $900 or so check the thread mentioned and you won't get into the 18-24 tracks arena, sorry. But you'll sure get in the 32+++ tracks arena [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2002, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eye2iRt:
Well, after fifteen years of getting screwed I finally saw the light and got a pc.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Quote:
Originally posted by who:
I'm also a mac convert who built my own PC. Although I did run into a problem, as a whole the PC-building process was fun and has proven to be the right decision for me.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">looks like we should start our own "switch" campaign.

everyone that got smart and dumped their tired old mac should post here!
Old 10-15-2002, 03:12 PM

That's the truth. A Mac buddy of mine didn't beleive me about the power of a Windows system... until I showed him the davec test using all 32 tracks + 3 Auxes! He's now thinking of getting a PC (for Protools only). He's not as stubburn as most Mac owners. He loves the Mac but he see it as if he can run 32 stable tracks and have plenty of room for plugins, than hey, Windows all the way! He knows he can't even come close to the performance of my PC using his 733mhz G4. In the end it's about the final product (and being able to have the resources to achieve your goal).
Jayman #9
Old 10-15-2002, 04:09 PM

Hi CJ a.k.a. Mastersonics, I don't want to start a war either. Would you agree that although both sides have to upgrade it's more cost effective on the pc side? Although this doesn't pertain to a computer for audio, when the new Imac came out I knew instinctively that by the summer a 17" screen would be available. Lo and behold guess what?...What about all those individuals who purchased the "cube". .What a waste of money!!! Anyway, I don't want to start a war. We must be wise and I believe forums like DUC help us all become more informed. I just wanted to offer a perspective from one who used to be a very loyal mac advocate.

Peace,
eye2irt