Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-12-2002, 12:25 AM

Default Question For Digidesign

Hello,

I am using an Apogee Rosetta AD as my front end for the Digi001 and I have a few
questions about calibration and setup.

First off, I need to calibrate the analog inputs of my Apogee. I need to generate a
1kHz tone at a level of +4 (0 VU) going into the Apogee to alighn the Apogee inputs.

What is the best way to generate 1KHz at +4 level coming out of the Digi001 analog outputs?
Which outputs on the Digi001 should I use?

What is the best way to use the Apogee? Optical ADAT connection or S/pdif? Which provides
the best results as far as sound quality and stability.

Which is the best way to lock the two digitally?

What is the best calibration level for the Digi001 analog inputs? Apogee recommends -16dB for the Rosetta.

I am using Neve 1272 preamps going into the Apogee.

Also, is it possible to use the ADAT optical inputs and the S/pdif inputs simultaneously?

I have an Eventide Eclipse and i was thinking that the AD converters might be higher quality than the Digi001's
So I was going to go from my joemeek preamps into the Eventide in Bypass and then connect the Eventide to the
Digi001 digitally along with the Apogee. What would you reccommend?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-12-2002, 08:07 AM
Avid

Default Re: Question For Digidesign

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro Toolian:
I need to generate a
1kHz tone at a level of +4 (0 VU) going into the Apogee to alighn the Apogee inputs.

What is the best way to generate 1KHz at +4 level coming out of the Digi001 analog outputs?
Which outputs on the Digi001 should I use?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You will want to use the Main outputs of the Digi001 for this purpose. Set the Fader of your Aux Input at unity (0dB) within Pro Tools.

Quote:
What is the best way to use the Apogee? Optical ADAT connection or S/pdif? Which provides
the best results as far as sound quality and stability.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-It does not matter which digital format you choose...they perform identically. If you have any other RCA S/PDIF devices that you may want to connect to the Digi001, then use the ADAT Optical I/O to connect the Rosetta.

Quote:
Which is the best way to lock the two digitally?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When transferring from the Rosetta into PT LE, you will want the Rosetta set to "Internal" sync mode and PT LE set to "S/PDIF" or "Optical" clock (depending on where the Rosetta is connected). If your Rosetta will always be connected and powered on, then you may leave these settings. If you disconnect the Rosetta after tracking, you will need to set PT LE back to "Internal" sync mode.

Quote:
What is the best calibration level for the Digi001 analog inputs? Apogee recommends -16dB for the Rosetta.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Whatever Apogee recommends is what you should use.

Quote:
Also, is it possible to use the ADAT optical inputs and the S/pdif inputs simultaneously?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes.

Quote:
So I was going to go from my joemeek preamps into the Eventide in Bypass and then connect the Eventide to the Digi001 digitally along with the Apogee. What would you reccommend?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-If you are going to have 2 digital devices connected to the Digi001 and routing audio into PT LE from both simultaneously, then both devices will need to be resolved to a common clock. If the Rosetta has a Word Clock output, then you will want to connect that to the WC input of the Eclipse.

Brent