Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-21-2021, 06:29 PM

Default Pro Tools Ultimate | Video Editing

Hello community,

Good day, how are you? Hope all is well. I'm becoming more and more interested in video editing. I see that the regular version of Pro Tools 20 which is capable of both audio and video editing is OK. However, I don't see any YouTube or even much of a buzz regarding Pro Tools and video editing. I will admit, I do see Pro Tools in MASTERCLASS sessions from blockbuster movies. Does anyone have a link I can do my research? I am currently using Da Vinci Resolve and iMovie.

Is the $2,600 really worth it, I think so. Please confirm. Also, links, if any (please, thanks).

Rey
https://r-e-y.com/

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
iMac (Retina 5K. 27-Inch, 2020)
Processor 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
3.6 GHz Dual-Intel Core i7
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 09-21-2021, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate | Video Editing

The internal video editing in Protools is very, very basic. You'll be better served by sticking with DaVinci Resolve than by trying to do more than just using the video for reference in Protools.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-21-2021, 10:58 PM

Pro Tools is really not a video editor. You can do very very basic cutting and pasting but most use the video capabilities as a reference for composing music or FX to an existing edited video.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:41 AM

Why would you ditch a fully featured video editing program such as Resolve? The video edit facility in PT is not intended to be used to create a program more to make adjustments while doing soundtrack work.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 09-22-2021, 04:56 AM

Yes, I agree - Pro Tools is more for post-production...when the video is completed in other tools.

Paul Maunder is the post-production guru on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7...auKz68w/videos

CPU: Intel Core i9-10980XE
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299X AORUS MASTER E-ATX
RAM: 64 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4
Screen card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC
Old 09-22-2021, 08:57 AM

Still, it'd be very useful for presenting work-in-progress demos if PT could add video fade-to-black and video crossfades. Same as they have for audio. And since we have recompression video options in Bounce, it wouldn't be that difficult to implement. Much like the basic video editing features of Video Slave.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Still, it'd be very useful for presenting work-in-progress demos if PT could add video fade-to-black and video crossfades. Same as they have for audio. And since we have recompression video options in Bounce, it wouldn't be that difficult to implement. Much like the basic video editing features of Video Slave.
Avid wants you to buy Media Composer instead of just using Protools to do you video editing.

(Although, Resolve is probably better than Media Composer these days. It certainly does more).

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-23-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Avid wants you to buy Media Composer instead of just using Protools to do you video editing.

(Although, Resolve is probably better than Media Composer these days. It certainly does more).
Hey thanks, I was just about to ask about Media Composer for editing. It’s the Hollywood standard but YouTubers know nothing about it apparently. All they talk is Adobe, Da Vinci & FC Pro.

Rey
https://r-e-y.com/

macOS Ventura
Pro Tools 2022
iMac (Retina 5K. 27-Inch, 2020)
Processor 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
3.6 GHz Dual-Intel Core i7
16GB ram
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8GB
Shure SM7B Mic
Pro Tools | Carbon
Komplete Kontrol M32
AKAI Mpk3 Mini
KALI Lp 6 (2)
Old 09-23-2021, 02:32 PM

Media Composer for video is like the Pro Tools HD of yesteryear for audio. If you have the hardware, then nothing beats it. If not, most serious projects are edited with Final Cut Pro.

Whenever you have more than one camera and one audio, you need to learn to sync things properly. Once you know that, the software does not matter so much.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReynaldoPena View Post
Hello community,

Good day, how are you? Hope all is well. I'm becoming more and more interested in video editing. I see that the regular version of Pro Tools 20 which is capable of both audio and video editing is OK. However, I don't see any YouTube or even much of a buzz regarding Pro Tools and video editing. I will admit, I do see Pro Tools in MASTERCLASS sessions from blockbuster movies. Does anyone have a link I can do my research? I am currently using Da Vinci Resolve and iMovie.

Is the $2,600 really worth it, I think so. Please confirm. Also, links, if any (please, thanks).
Nope. You'd be better off with iMovie.

Get a real setup like Adobe Premiere or take a class that gives you access to that type of thing. Long form Probably Avid, but I'm guessing you want to just do little project. FCP used to be good, until they messed it up. All my editors now work in Premiere in LA that send me work.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS