Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-16-2002, 09:29 PM

Default $3200 for Mbox rig - what would you choose?

I'm gonna put together an Mbox Pro Tools system for a good friend of mine. He needs everything - and the budget is $3200.00

I need a Mac (I could go iMac, portable, desktop...just not sure yet but open to anything), the MBox, a nice mic, a pair of good speakers (preferably active), and if I could squeeze a compressor in there somehow, that would be cool too.

Any suggestions? Anyone already priced out a nice little system in this price range? Any hot deals out there?

Thanks!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2002, 01:12 AM

Default Re: $3200 for Mbox rig - what would you choose?

IF you can do a desktop. Then you want a digi 001.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:27 AM

First things first: You need a precise list of what you need.

- computer
- monitor
- audio interface
- midi interface?
- midi keyboard?
- microphone
- mic stand? pop screen?
- cables?
- audio monitors
- monitors stands
- furniture? racks? chair? desk? lighting?
- acoustic room treatment?

And then make some choices: the portable/desktop computer choice is up to you. One is more powerful, the other is more portable. Wich do you need?

Try not to forget anything as it's easy to just think of the "big" stuff in your budget, and have no $$$ left to buy quality cables, a decent monitor for the computer....

6am eternal
Old 03-17-2002, 02:01 AM

You could get a sweet system (computer) for pretty cheap. You could easily get like an old 4oo mgh g4 for under $800 if you want. Just make sure it's clean. All the digi 001 Le stuff will run on it.

If you wanna stay good for a few years, get an 800 mgh processor (the new one). If you wanna stay "good" longer get a newer, faster one. Just remember to price all the little stuff out (like the last guy said). Get it down to a science and hook the sh-t up. It's all about taking the first step. You HAVE to get better after that.
Old 03-17-2002, 04:38 PM

I'd buy an AMD setup from DAWbox, or competetor. You can get a smokin one for 1000 after tax and shipping. Get the 001, even used off of ebay. Now you're at 1800. Get some project studio monitors for 600, so you're at 2400. All you need now is mics and cables. For 800 you could manage. For a computer monitor ask around, cause many people have ones laying around that they'd love to give away. You can always find a deal at fry's or somewhere on monitors too. They bust them out around 150 all the time. Then just add mics, cables, MIDI gear, FX processors/plugins and you'll be set in no time.
Old 03-17-2002, 08:48 PM

Search out a good used deal on a (minimum) 450mhz G-4.

Forget the M-box and it's 4 input limitation and go for the 001 for a few hundred more.
Mac and audio are definitely the way to go, unless you like windows issues....

Get a good pair of monitors, (and start saving for a second pair) they are your vital link.

Research mics, and get a good pair of them, perhaps one large diaphram condenser and one dynamic.

Add the necessary cabling, and you're probably out of money. Start working on this, making the most of it, and get ready to become addicted to buying gear....and enjoy!!!!!!!!!

I purposely did not post my specific "suggestions" for brands and models, as there is probably weeks worth of reading on the subject on this BBS alone already. If you really want my "suggestions", e-mail me and I'll be happy to share my thoughts.)

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2002, 12:46 AM

Hey - thanks for the replies!

I'd really appreciate specific suggestions. My friend can't spend a penny more than $3200 to get started or he (and possibly me) will be summarily executed by his wife.

I'm a TDM user/professional engineer...so I know there's lots of great gear I could get for this guy, but...most of what I'm familiar with is out of his price range. Mainly what I'm concerned about is that I'm not hip to all the less expensive mics and monitors out there that may be very good products. I don't want to just pick out cheap stuff for him just because that's what he can afford. If you could specifically recommend mics and monitors in his price range that you are very satisfied with, I'd appreciate it!

On the computer front - I would definitely prefer to get him a desktop G4 rig with an 001, but with that money spent, plus a monitor, it leaves very little money for other stuff. He isn't going to be doing very complicated stuff - just tracking his ideas, guitars, and his vocals one part at a time, so I'm thinking an Mbox will be enough. So if I could squeeze in a nice mic, a preamp/compressor and some good monitors, that would be perfect...

And yes - I'll be getting him a Mac, not a PC. A year of hell trying to get his PC to work is what brought us to this point. He's getting a Mac I can maintain for him.

Any specific recomendations? Any particular music web stores with great deals? Thanks!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2002, 04:08 AM

I'll pitch in with a mic recommendation - see if you can track down the Oktava MK 012. It's a small diaphragm capacitor mic that comes with interchangeable capsules (cardiod, hypercardioid and omni) and sounds pretty much the same as a Neumann KM84. You can get the full kit in the UK for £180, so probably the same in dollars in the States. We've used them every day for several years and they sound good on almost everything.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:44 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> He isn't going to be doing very complicated stuff - just tracking his ideas, guitars, and his vocals one part at a time, so I'm thinking an Mbox will be enough. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well he might be interested pretty soon in recording drums, I mean, programming midi drums. In that case he'll have to purchase a midi interface. When you add it up with the Mbox, you end up realizing that you didn't save a whole lot compared to the 001, plus you'll have to find and install and troubleshoot your third party midi interface....

I'd say unless you really want something portable go with the 001. You can find them new for around $700. Or consider a motu 828, they come with audiodesk.

6am eternal
Old 03-18-2002, 07:43 AM

I would pass on the new iMac.

You want Level 3 cache (at least 2 mBs) + the 001.

(not the 800mhz G-4. Either 867 or 933)