Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2022, 02:18 PM

Default Studio Error, then cannot access Menu Bar / Shortcuts

So, I've been running into a problem frequently, and its interrupting my workflow and also killing my sessions with clients and I'm not sure what to do.

During my projects, I'll occasionally get a small glitch and then *everything* will stop working properly. This gif (https://gyazo.com/35cfbc64b3909b254e6b838b9a3180be) shows I'm missing/grayed out of the "View, Track, Clip, Event and Options" menus. This is not all though, I will lose all keyboard shortcuts that use CTRL or SHIFT.... I'm at a loss, as I can't even ctrl+s to save, I can't close the session, I can't cut/paste or do literally anything.

Steps I've taken - Reset ProTools Cache and Settings
Restarting PT:S works, but only for a few minutes.
Updated PC drivers and graphics drivers.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Studio Error, then cannot access Menu Bar / Shortcuts

First thing to do is look near the top of this(and every) DUC page for the link named Help Us Help You and have a good read. Its nearly impossible to offer any help with almost zero info on the system("PC" and "PT-Studio" constitutes maybe 1% of the required info). Post a Sandra Lite report and include details on the interface and exact build versions of PT and OS.

Steps worth trying:
1-trash prefs(guitardom's Trasher utility available at pro-tools-pc.com is the best option for Windows machines).
2-If your system drive is a fast SSD, try running your session on that drive(a separate recording drive is ideal, but with the advent of fast SSD drives, its not the "requirement" that it once was).
3-you mention a "small glitch". So what might be causing this glitch? Turn off all networking and see if that helps. Open Task Manager and see what programs are running in the background. Have you performed ALL the required system tweaks?
4 and up will be a mystery until you provide complete system details

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave