Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-18-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Sampling Rounding Bug and Workarounds - Pro Tools 2020.3

It's troubling to see what users are doing to workaround the bugs especially considering that these are standard and basics functions within any DAW. Hopefully some of the workarounds I provided are helping out.

Yes, having PT 11 and the latest version might just be the best workaround. I would definitely use PT 11 just to compose and arranges my projects.
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 04-18-2020, 04:33 PM

Evermore, thx man for that topic - I really hate Avid for that bug
This is very annoying especially with midi. Seriously Avid: DO SOMETHING WITH IT!!!
Old 04-20-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuras77 View Post
Evermore, thx man for that topic - I really hate Avid for that bug
This is very annoying especially with midi. Seriously Avid: DO SOMETHING WITH IT!!!
No problem man! Hope it's helping you out.

What would definitely help out is if you can say a bit of what you're doing when this bug affects you and how you are workaround it. This should be helpful for Avid. Just a thought.
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 04-20-2020, 11:33 AM

Ok, so after further testing, I can report that automation is also affected
I will provide an update with vids demonstrating what happens to Automation.
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 04-20-2020, 11:59 AM

MIDI notes are also getting misaligned randomly when doing tempo changes as well.

I'm to the point where I am just going to readjust the misaligned notes after I have a final MIDI arrangement rather than as I go.

Anyways, here is a full MIDI production with some guitar audio that I had to constantly re-alighn throughout the session.
It was already enough work doing the drums & chords note for note in the piano roll.
I'd like for it to be shared and enjoyed after all the painstaking yet determined effort. [sighs]

Regards,
Mike

https://soundcloud.com/rockexotic/es...ndtrack-medley
Old 04-20-2020, 01:33 PM

Yep, big +1 from me! I gave up using PT for MIDI ages ago, all my arranging is done in Logic then exported to PT fro editing and mixing - pesky I know, but also kinda "old school" - breaking up the tracking/arrangement and mix process, I kinda like the different head space.

As far as the audio side of the "sample rounding" bug goes, for me it been around since v11, I never had any problems in v10 and earlier, man, I long for the day that I can once again use cmd+D in shuffle mode and accurately copy clips and have align properly to the grid

The way I work around this is to option+drag a clip while in "slip" mode, drop it somewhere random on the time line then switch to "shuffle" and slam it behind the the previous clip, this seems to work 100% of the time with audio but... I work exclusively at 24bit 44.1khz(thought I'd mention that as sample rate and tempo seem to also play a part here).

This bug has been around sooooo long now, I doubt Avid even consider it worth fixing... a real shame, it's usually the 1st thing I check when I upgrade to a new version, oh well, we live in hope
Old 04-20-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evermore View Post
It's troubling to see what users are doing to workaround the bugs especially considering that these are standard and basics functions within any DAW. Hopefully some of the workarounds I provided are helping out.
Avid are taking the p!!!!!

You are so right, this is a “standard and basic function”
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 04-24-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF Media View Post
Yep, big +1 from me! I gave up using PT for MIDI ages ago, all my arranging is done in Logic then exported to PT fro editing and mixing - pesky I know, but also kinda "old school" - breaking up the tracking/arrangement and mix process, I kinda like the different head space.

As far as the audio side of the "sample rounding" bug goes, for me it been around since v11, I never had any problems in v10 and earlier, man, I long for the day that I can once again use cmd+D in shuffle mode and accurately copy clips and have align properly to the grid

The way I work around this is to option+drag a clip while in "slip" mode, drop it somewhere random on the time line then switch to "shuffle" and slam it behind the the previous clip, this seems to work 100% of the time with audio but... I work exclusively at 24bit 44.1khz(thought I'd mention that as sample rate and tempo seem to also play a part here).

This bug has been around sooooo long now, I doubt Avid even consider it worth fixing... a real shame, it's usually the 1st thing I check when I upgrade to a new version, oh well, we live in hope
Why should anyone have to give up on a function that every DAW has working perfectly? This is anything but embarrassing for a company.

I've only been using Pro Tools for around 3-1/2 years and was not aware that the bug was around for so long for audio.

You can get the same results by using the Keyboard shortcuts "Snap to next & previous". This way you wouldn't have to change between shuffle, slip and grid. The only problem I see with your method or the one I mentioned is if some audio clips have been affected and change in length prior to editing. There really is no safe way to work in Pro Tools unless you figure out the Confirmed Tempos that work for 44.1khz.
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 04-24-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
MIDI notes are also getting misaligned randomly when doing tempo changes as well.

I'm to the point where I am just going to readjust the misaligned notes after I have a final MIDI arrangement rather than as I go.

Anyways, here is a full MIDI production with some guitar audio that I had to constantly re-alighn throughout the session.
It was already enough work doing the drums & chords note for note in the piano roll.
I'd like for it to be shared and enjoyed after all the painstaking yet determined effort. [sighs]

Regards,
Mike

https://soundcloud.com/rockexotic/es...ndtrack-medley
Nice track! keep it up. Hopefully we'll see a fix sometime soon and allow us to focus on our music.
Apogee Symphony IO mkii
Old 04-24-2020, 12:12 PM

Just did an update regarding automation and how its affected.
Apogee Symphony IO mkii