How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2012, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 with Roland Fantom G8

Kaylahall88,

First of all, the Fantom should totally work with PT. I had a Roland XP-30 for years and it worked fine. You can use your Fantom as only a MIDI controller to input MIDI data into Pro Tools (PT), or as a sound module. Either use should work great.

As I see it, you have two options, depending on what you are trying to achieve.

1. The first option involves recording MIDI data into PT, and using this data to play a Virtual Instrument (VI), like the free VI XPand that comes with PT. From what I've read so far about your needs, I think this is your best bet. It's fast and easy. To do this, create a Stereo Instrument Track in PT, instantiate a VI, set the MIDI In (not Audio In) of the Instrument Track to the Fantom (or to "All"), and record. When done recording, the MIDI notes should be visible on the Instrument Track, and when you press Play, the MIDI data should play the VI, producing audio that you should be able to hear.

2. The second option involves using PT to play the Fantom. You should only do this if you REALLY need to use that particular Fantom patch. If you're just talking about a piano sound, use option 1. I know there are many Virtual Instruments and samplers that can give you a good piano sound. But if you REALLY want to hear the audio from the Fantom, it is common practice to use 1 MIDI Track and 1 Stereo Aux Track. On the MIDI track, set the MIDI In and MIDI Out to the Fantom Channel 1, and record MIDI data in PT. On the Aux Track, set the Audio In to whatever audio input you have the Fantom connected to. Once MIDI data is recorded on the MIDI Track, it should trigger the selected patch in the Fantom. Make sure the Fantom is set to receive MIDI data on the correct channel (I would stick with channel 1). Once the Fantom is producing audio, it will send it into PT, and you should be able to HEAR it. If you want to RECORD this audio in PT, create an Audio Track, set the Input to whatever audio input you have the Fantom connected to, and record.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 PM

not to de-rail the thread but I had never actually thought about using Pro Tools to trigger sounds within the keyboard.

If you customize your sound and such does it play back correctly or can it only work with stock sounds?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
...If you customize your sound and such does it play back correctly or can it only work with stock sounds?
Pro Tools (and any modern DAW) can be used to send any kind of MIDI information to a synth, and play whatever sound the synth can produce.