Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2021, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Custom installs ? (plugins&instruments)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
Thank you all for your valuable time.
System, Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 bootrom144

I'm reinstalling everything on a spinner and plan on cloning everything to a faster drive, and in which order the ones should be system drive, samples and recording drive.

I would like to be able to switch drives to a older OS for certain things and HFS+ would be practical I would imagine.

Combination please, system drive, samples drive, and audio recording drive config?

Here's what I have to clone system drive.
1. Single Samsung Evo Plus M.2
2. OWC Accelsior PCI
3. OWC SSD in slot bay
4. Newly acquired I/O Cest 16x2 M.2 <<<( I gather to benefit speed use 16x slot

Thank you.
I'm confused with the procedure you write here. Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? Faster system? Fast nvme drive in a pcie slot. Get one big enough and you can put everything on there. However I'd still recommend having separate drives for system, samples & recording. SSD in a pcie slot for system drive. How many open pcie slots do you have? If you have another open pcie slot put the samples there preferably nvme but a regular ssd on an Accelsior adapter will suffice. In my system IO have a 4TB 7200 rpm spinner for sessions.

If you want to run an older OSX you can always partition a drive; you might want to look into APFS containers instead of partitions. Make Google your friend on that or get in touch with Darryl Ramm here - he's the ssd guru.

QAPLA!