Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-25-1999, 08:40 AM

Default MOTU 2408 vs Digi 001

I am trying to decide between getting the 2408 or the digi 001. Can you tell list me the advantages of getting the 001 as opposed to the 2408.
Old 10-30-1999, 09:32 PM

Default Re: MOTU 2408 vs Digi 001

Motu is good but,Next step ProTools,learning curve,none
Old 10-31-1999, 07:05 PM

ProTools Rocks........period..... end of story!!
Nah i think digi001 is a better option than motu, although i've heard great things about motu.....
Rock on
Eddie
Old 11-01-1999, 05:46 PM

I have been considering a MOTU 1224, however, I just attended a Digi001 seminar & they pretty much me sold me on the Digi001. The next day I had some questions & could not get in touch with any one at DigiDesign to answer a few presale questions for me (like exactly which RTAS plug-ins come with ProTools LE). In response to an e-mail inquiery, I got a canned response that directed me here.

When I called MOTU with questions about the 1224, I got to talk to a REAL person that was willing & able to answer ALL of my questions.

A friend of mine that's been in the music business for 20 years warned me about DigiDesign's poor technical support. If they can't bother answering per-sale questions, it makes me wonder how willing they'll be to answer tech questions after the sale.

I know that DigiDesign directs you to their local dealers, however, I've found that I know more than the sales people about much of the equipment they sell.
Old 11-02-1999, 05:15 AM

Gordon

Exactly why did you choose the 001 over the 1224 again? Can you list me your biggest selling points that they told you to make you prefer the 001 over the 1224
Old 11-02-1999, 07:56 AM

The most important thing, having used virtually all of the options, is Pro Tools is elegantly designed software that makes sense. The others have so many user interface nightmares jammed into them that it will take you much longer to learn them and when you get there you will always be swearing at them. I look forward to being able to praise PT5 in similar ways, but PT4 is actually useable for audio at least.

If you learn PT you will find that you can bring your work into most professional studios and post houses and feel right at home. It's the ADAT/common denominator of Computer based Recording. Logic and its lesser peers are generally for techno/dance fiddlers. Sonic may be a better designed system but only has traction for mastering work.

The problem is the music customer is generally pretty dense and looks at hoo-ha features over usability. PT has less features you don't need. Simply the way PT is laid out, where you can zoom in to arbitrary depth on any track *in context* with the others, rather than getting a seperate window for each track...is so utterly correct that every other music software designer ought to get their heads handed to them for missing it...and their lame graft-ons to try to mimic that later fall catastrophically short. Tracks, like words, are fairly useless out of context.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 11-02-1999, 06:19 PM

zingsthings

Well, after hearing the Digi sales pitch (the Digi sales guy was extremely knowledgable both technically & musically) & seeing the demo, it seemed that the Digi001 had all of the features (plus the mic pres) of the 1224, & it was only $999 rather than $1299. However, when I started looking at the Digi001 literature, it looked like it didn't even come with a reverb plug-in (no preamp plug-ins either). As I said, when I attempted to contact DigiDesign, I got no answers. If you have to buy reverb & peramp plug-ins to go with the Digi001, you'll probably spend more than the $1299 of the MOTU 1224.

I find it disturbing that 6 days before the product is supposed to ship (the Digi sales guy said it is supposed to ship on Nov. 8) that Digi can't tell me what plug-ins are going to ship with the product.

Also, in my case I'm recording an entire band so the mic pres aren't that valuable, I'll still need an external mixer.

Because Mars Music has a 45 day money back guarantee, I'll probably buy each one (one at a time) & play with each one to see which one I like best.
Old 11-02-1999, 07:21 PM

Gordon

I talked to Digi today and they said if you buy the unit before Dec. 30 you will get "D verb" free. They told me the other plugins were an EQ, delay and a few others that didn't seem all that cool. I have been using Digital Performer 2.6 which contains Audiodesk which will come with the 1224. I don't care much for the reverb that comes in Audiodesk (named "E Verb") however I do like the other plug ins. The nice thing is that my $2500.00 Waves Gold Bundle will work in the 001 or 1224. I just dont know what to do. Sounds like you got a good idea to try out both. Something I found out with hard disk recording is that you better have a fast processor. I have a G3 333mhz that will max out pretty fast when I use reverbs. In the 1224 you will have 4 aux sends one each channel. With my processor, I'll be lucky to be able to assign 4 effects per channel on 6 or 7 channels tops. It'll be awhile before a processor that fast comes out.
Old 11-03-1999, 05:35 AM

Digi tech support has been great to me everytime I called. They even hold while I run and try something out in my studio, cause the phone hasn't been installed in it yet!

Peppertree is right. I've tried all the software, and while MOTU has some cool tricks up it's sleeve, the fact is that ProTools is designed with usability in mind. It's so intuitive, I could never change. The fact that you can zoom in in the context of other tracks is so simple and wonderful, I'm surprised no one else has been able to figure this out.
Old 11-03-1999, 07:43 AM

are any of you interested in upgrading later on? the 001 seems like something you will have to get rid of entirely, and trade in for a tdm system, while the motu stuff is so modular and will integrate into nealry anystudio setup that is already built or one that you build around it.

the way I see it is, if you do not own ANY other gear and don't want to use much in the way of outboard, mixers, adats/da's, etc. and are doing music only with no need for sync, then the 001 is great......pro tools interface is beautiful...keep in mind that all the features of all of these programs seem to be blurring together more and more!

If you want to have a daw that incorporates itself into a "real" studio situation, the motu hardware looks VERY appealing. Think about what you will want later on - I imiagine you will eventually buy a really good mic pre, more plug ins, midi interfaces, etc ANYWAY, so either of these two as a starting point (1224 or 001) is good. it depends on where you want to be later.

the whole thing with new computers is they are getting so fast, that by the time you want to trade your 001 in for tdm, you porbably won't need to spend 10k, because the newest processors will do it for you (more effects sends on more channels, no crashing, etc.) Just buy a new computer for 2k! if you have the motu hardware, it's still happening!

I am trying to think in terms of building up the studio, and what I will be happiest with in the long run, not just what happens to look cool at the moment.