Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-30-2021, 09:47 PM

Default best way to move Ultimate sessions from HDX to Carbon and back again?

Hi - I have an HDX MacPro 2020 Ultimate rig with HDio interfaces.

considering eventually buying a new MacBookPro.... and a Carbon interface... so I can do revisions away from my studio.

I'd need to move a few of the hardware inserts to different places in the Input/Output I/O page .... they'd be at different places in terms of the I/O on the Carbon, relative to my HDX rig.

Any tips and tricks as to how to do this quickly when using sessions started on the Ultimate HDX rig, then doing revisions on the Carbon rig? In existing PT sessions of mine..... but keeping the bussing in each PT session.

What is the most foolproof and safest way to this, back and forth on many sessions?

Would I just open up the I-O window in PT and just drag the inserts and inputs and outputs to the new physical locations in the IO?

or any other tips and tricks?

thanks.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:23 AM

Default Re: best way to move Ultimate sessions from HDX to Carbon and back again?

My method of moving between 2 PT systems without IO hassles is to name your most-used IO the same on both systems. This came from moving sessions between a 64 input HDN rig and a midi suite running an M-Box 2 Pro. On the big rig:
Main outs were labelled Main Out L/R
First headphone mix out was Phones Voc
First 4 inputs were X-12 1, X-12 2, Vintech 1 and Vintech 2
By labelling the Mbox rig's IO to match, sessions went back and forth perfectly(with the small rig throwing a message about missing paths; which we ignored). Obviously, you are free to use any naming that makes sense to your setups(it making things match in name that makes it work).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-01-2021, 03:12 PM

Default Re: best way to move Ultimate sessions from HDX to Carbon and back again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
My method of moving between 2 PT systems without IO hassles is to name your most-used IO the same on both systems. This came from moving sessions between a 64 input HDN rig and a midi suite running an M-Box 2 Pro. On the big rig:
Main outs were labelled Main Out L/R
First headphone mix out was Phones Voc
First 4 inputs were X-12 1, X-12 2, Vintech 1 and Vintech 2
By labelling the Mbox rig's IO to match, sessions went back and forth perfectly(with the small rig throwing a message about missing paths; which we ignored). Obviously, you are free to use any naming that makes sense to your setups(it making things match in name that makes it work).
cool - thanks.

anyone else have any other tips and tricks?