Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2023, 05:47 PM

Default MTRX Studio with Dante DVS: Cannot Change Sample Rate

I recently purchased a MTRX Studio to use with Dante DVS and Reaper in our new Atmos mixing suite. Within the first 48 hours I had great success getting things up and running in DADman, DVS and Dante Controller.

One problem that I simply cannot resolve on my own is that if I change the sample rate to anything other than 48 kHz in the Configuration panel of DADman and in the Device View in Dante Controller, Dante shows an error on all channels and all audio playback ceases. When I check Reaper's Audio Device Settings it shows a sample rate of 48 kHz regardless of what is actually set in DADman and Dante Controller. Similarly, when I check my MacOS Audio MIDI Setup, it shows a sample rate of 48 kHz with no option to change it, regardless of the actual sample rate set.

I'm pretty sure that I've tried every setting combination in the Config dialog of DADman and the Device View of Dante Controller, with no success. I've attached images of my current settings, for reference. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 5.49.27 PM.jpg (24.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 5.49.39 PM.jpg (21.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-03-2023, 07:26 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio with Dante DVS: Cannot Change Sample Rate

DVS has to be manually changed for sample rate.
It does NOT follow clock. That's your issue.

If you would like to change the sample rate of DVS you have to do it from Dante Controller software (You select the DVS device and then go in and change sample rate.) This is a decision Audinate made for DVS (probably to convince people to buy hardware with their chip.)
Once you change DVS's sample rate, since you've decided to clock the MTRX internally, you have to change that clock to the same sample rate.
In Dante Controller, the MTRX should also be set to be the primary/master clock as a preference.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:05 PM

Thanks BScout! I actually resolved the issue on my own shortly after posting this. It turns out that I was setting the sample rate correctly in the DADman software and in the Dante Controller Device view for the MTRX Studio, but I missed that you also need to set it in a third location: the Dante Controller Device view for the DVS (i.e. the DVS Core Audio Driver). Once I set the same sample rate in all three places, everything worked as expected. Definitely a little confusing, but I can live with it.
Old 01-04-2023, 03:46 AM

The sample rate changing could be better on this system. It freaks people out when they can still see deflection (meters) after changing a sample rate, but can't hear audio. The Dante Controller software is a bit messy for the non-initiated engineers using my place. Too many panicked phone calls for my liking.
Mac M2 13" Air in the field
Old 01-05-2023, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewyankiwski View Post
Thanks BScout! I actually resolved the issue on my own shortly after posting this. It turns out that I was setting the sample rate correctly in the DADman software and in the Dante Controller Device view for the MTRX Studio, but I missed that you also need to set it in a third location: the Dante Controller Device view for the DVS (i.e. the DVS Core Audio Driver). Once I set the same sample rate in all three places, everything worked as expected. Definitely a little confusing, but I can live with it.
You can change a couple of settings in DADman and simplify the way you change sample rate. These two illustrations show how to simplify it so you either change the sample rate in DADman (and the Dante interface in MTRX Studio will follow that sample rate) or so you change the sample rate on the MTRX Studio Dante interface in Dante Controller (and the MTRX Studio will follow that sample rate).

Sample rate of DVS always needs to be changed separately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DADman sample rate.jpg (43.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DC Sample rate.jpg (40.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-05-2023, 11:32 PM

Thanks Jan - I appreciate the screen shots. This will definitely save me a step. I've only had the interface for two weeks, but I am really enjoying the power and flexibility of it so far.