Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-26-2022, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Interface for Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions - a lot of good options there, but I really need a very simple interface, like smurfyou said - to have 6 outputs controllable via a single pot. I don't need more than 2 inputs, and the quality really isn't that important - no serious stuff is ever recorded in the editing room.
You have some specifications that don't work together.

First of all I could recommend you Apogee Symphony II chassis with 2x6 card, which is super quality and super easy, but on the expensive side (i/o module itself 2399EUR, plus the chassis -- in total 4399EUR of conversion bliss). I have this and happy camper since 2017.

On the other hand I could recommend you any box that gives 2x6 i/o. Unless you tell your maximum budget, recommendations are all over the place.
Old 12-26-2022, 12:19 PM

The problem is that one doesn't get a 2in & 6 out interface cheap these days. So, go with either

1. an 8 output device directly or
2. buy a cheap 2-4 output device + ADAT output rack in addition to get more than 4 outputs.

Either way, this will be still about 800-1200 € investment, give or take.

Last edited by hannuala; 12-26-2022 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:12 AM

If I was setting up another edit room I'd look at MOTU first. I'd want what Branko said, a simple monitor control for the outputs and decent sound quality but not top of the line $$.

828-es would be first choice although maybe overkill. The little Ultralite mk5 almost matches the MBox 3 Pro features exactly.

The Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 can do it too but I'm not familiar with their software mixer.
Old 12-28-2022, 07:00 AM

I know a few people with small setups using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 for surround work. With their monitor control software you can set up a single volume pot for 6 outputs and there are individual trims to aid in calibration.

Seems to work well enough.

MKD Creative
Old 12-29-2022, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondschwin View Post
I know a few people with small setups using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 for surround work. With their monitor control software you can set up a single volume pot for 6 outputs and there are individual trims to aid in calibration.

Seems to work well enough.
I did a long research some time back about cheap interfaces with 6+ outs that can volume-link all line outs and the 18i20 was the only one of the cheap ones that could do it. Even the smaller scarlets that have 6 line outs can not be linked via the software. So unless there's something new in the 500€ range that Scarlett is the only one that can do it afaik. Anything else is more expensive. The scarlett is as cheap as it will get for 5.1 and linked volume control.

It's tricky to find out as that feature is only ever mentioned when you ding into the manuals thoroughly. That said, I'm not using it myself. I just considered it for a cheap secondary home rig but in the end didn't buy it.

Frank.
Old 12-29-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I did a long research some time back about cheap interfaces with 6+ outs that can volume-link all line outs and the 18i20 was the only one of the cheap ones that could do it. Even the smaller scarlets that have 6 line outs can not be linked via the software. So unless there's something new in the 500€ range that Scarlett is the only one that can do it afaik. Anything else is more expensive. The scarlett is as cheap as it will get for 5.1 and linked volume control.

It's tricky to find out as that feature is only ever mentioned when you ding into the manuals thoroughly. That said, I'm not using it myself. I just considered it for a cheap secondary home rig but in the end didn't buy it.

Frank.
Motu Ultralite can do it and has a far better control software/sub mixer than the terrible Scarlett one. Which is terrible. And the MOTU has both better specs and a near-same price.

Have I mentioned it is terrible on the Scarlett... let me do it just one more time: It's terrible. That linking: it's temperamental and suddenly only 2 channels will adjust (it appears to be software based and not loaded into the interface itself into any memory.) The inputs can't be reordered (so you are stuck using the first mic pre if you want to use it for something like Zoom since the CoreAudio implementation is so, so bad. And more...)
Old 12-29-2022, 04:40 PM

Frank, BScout, thanks for your answers. That MOTU interface really looks interesting. I also have bad experience with Focusrite control apps.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:56 AM

Hi All,

just to be clear: I wasn't implying that the Focusrite is the best option. I just wanted to mention it's possibly the only option in the far-under 800€ region that offers the features (6 outs, dead cheap, output linking). I didn't imply it's a good alternative to spending 100% more money. (last time I checked the Motu was almost twice the price of the Focusrite but maybe that has changed now)

And I personally think that buying cheap usually means you buy it twice. The cheap one plus the good one shortly after

F.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 12-30-2022 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM

Thinking out of the box, but you could connect to a cheap home theater preamp via HDMI an use this as a volume control (and have a Dolby Digital or even Atmos decoder built in as well for external sources such as streaming or DVD/BD).

Greetings,
Thierry
Old 01-01-2023, 10:23 PM

hopefully apple will release something to end all this, like outputting Atmos from the hdmi output on the Studio MAc so we can plug and monitor on a regular home 11.2 preamp