Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2022, 11:59 AM

Default HDX firmware update killed yet another card

Hello,
Over the years I've had HDX firmware updates kill 7 of our HDX cards, the most recent this weekend moving a system from PT20 to PT21. We lost a daw and are replacing it with a Mac Studio and must move past PT20 that's on all our other daws.

I document everything functioning on the old PT version with screenshots, then do the firmware updates with screenshots, and unfortunately one of the 4 cards killed a dsp from the update. This has unfortunately happened to a significant number of users over the years, there was some speculation a few years ago on certain HDX batches with mediocre on the edge timing but who really knows. All I know is I, and significant numbers of others, have had PT updates kill their HDX cards.

I have a support case in, we'll see what happens, but this is why I have extra cards and only do it when I can afford the downtime. 7 cards killed by updates in 8 years. Very silly.

Hugh
Old 10-10-2022, 02:57 PM

Default Re: HDX firmware update killed yet another card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-H View Post
Hello,
Over the years I've had HDX firmware updates kill 7 of our HDX cards, the most recent this weekend moving a system from PT20 to PT21. We lost a daw and are replacing it with a Mac Studio and must move past PT20 that's on all our other daws.

I document everything functioning on the old PT version with screenshots, then do the firmware updates with screenshots, and unfortunately one of the 4 cards killed a dsp from the update. This has unfortunately happened to a significant number of users over the years, there was some speculation a few years ago on certain HDX batches with mediocre on the edge timing but who really knows. All I know is I, and significant numbers of others, have had PT updates kill their HDX cards.

I have a support case in, we'll see what happens, but this is why I have extra cards and only do it when I can afford the downtime. 7 cards killed by updates in 8 years. Very silly.

Hugh
Holy Toledo! That is insane. I hope Avid repaired or exchanged them for you with little to no cost.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 10-11-2022, 12:37 AM

just out of interest, how many HDX cards are you dealing with altogether, or what percentage of cards have bitten the dust?

and have you had any of those 7 cards repaired by AVID?
Old 10-11-2022, 07:45 PM

Hello,
We have I think 10 cards, so in the last 8 years how many firmware updates times 10 cards is that?
When a group of us several years ago had a run of bad cards there appeared to be a serial number pattern but we weren’t entirely certain of that. All the replacement cards I’ve received from avid, whether purchased or given to me, have all been used cards from Avid. So the fact that some of them are from batches with problematic timing, which a fancier firmware update kills, isn’t completely surprising.

After the first few died years ago and I had to buy new ones, I started documenting every step of the process with screenshots proving that they worked before the update and the update killed them. We’ll see what happens with this latest casualty.

Hugh
Old 10-12-2022, 01:43 AM

Are the cards in pci slots or in an extension chassis? I've heard of issues with the latter.

We have 10 cards as well, but 0 issues (inside cheese graters). I'm on the verge of updating 6 cards so now I'm scared
Old 10-12-2022, 03:11 PM

Hello Farhoof,

In the past failures a variety of OS, Mac 5.1, expansion chassis types, daws, etc. There's no currently discernible pattern on our end except that we've received a significant number of cards "on the edge" that a firmware update kills.
I don't have links but there were some threads a number of years ago on this forum and on GearSpace trying to find patterns. No luck.
H
Old 11-04-2022, 04:34 PM

That's terrifying
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 11-07-2022, 01:40 AM

Updated the 6 cards by now, luckily without issues.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:51 PM

Hello,
Still in process - Avid reps have been polite but this seems to take a long time with many back and forth “try this test” most of which I’ve done.
1st tier support said essentially “out of warranty not our problem” but eventually I was sent to 2nd tier where it’s in process.
One of the issues I pointed out to them is that for a number of these replacement cards, Avid has sent me used cards which then fail the next firmware update. This has occurred on quite a few of these failures. It’s kind of a self perpetuating cycle where I filter out their cards which were manufactured too close to their functional edge.
Hugh
Old 11-15-2022, 02:38 PM

Hello,
Ok this is a good one. After SIX WEEKS of back and forth the latest communique from Avid -

Quote:
Hello Hugh,

Thank you for checking the shipment address.

We sincerely apologize for the delay. I checked with our replacement department.

And, according to them, part number 9100-65338-00 (ASY FNL,HDX PCI) is currently out of stock, and we have not yet received an ETA.

We will tell you as soon as there are any developments to this RMA request. If you want any clarification or assistance, please let us know.

Thank you for your consideration.

Warm regards,

Joan
Avid Global Customer Care
As with the previous SIX CARDS that Avid's updates killed, I told our accountant what was going on. Frequently the comedian, her response -
"So let me see if I understand this correctly. Our 10 Nuendo triple-Madi systems generate seven times the ROI of the HDX systems. And are used more often. And most of the operators like them better. You're the engineering genius, you explain this!" (told you she was a comedian).

Ugh.
H