Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 05-10-2022, 12:18 PM

Default Tiny MIDI Gremlin in Mac Studio Ultra

Using the same version of Pro Tools 2021.12 I used pre Mac Studio Ultra - and same Spitfire inst's - I can only have ONE controller inputting MIDI now (accessible via the Mix window). I can't use the Doepfer LMK4 and the Monogram controllers at the same time - I have to have either or!!! Both worked at the same time before I switched over to the Mac Studio Ultra.

I know Monterey doesn't dance well with USB A - and I have the Monogram plugged into a hub/splitter into USB A. I'll order a USBC hub and plug it into a Thunderbolt port and see what happens - but wonder if anyone else has had anything like this happen.

Another oddity is I can see the meter moving indicating the incoming MIDI in the MIX window but not the Edit window. Strange. Not the end of the world but strange indeed.

I LOVE the Mac Studio Ultra. It handles sessions that would collapse on my old 5.1 Mac Pro. Spitfire Audio's Symphonic Motions wouldn't begin to work on the old Mac Pro - and works fine now on the MS Ultra. So I can live with this weirdness but it is limiting.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 05-11-2022, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Tiny MIDI Gremlin in Mac Studio Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
Using the same version of Pro Tools 2021.12 I used pre Mac Studio Ultra - and same Spitfire inst's - I can only have ONE controller inputting MIDI now (accessible via the Mix window). I can't use the Doepfer LMK4 and the Monogram controllers at the same time - I have to have either or!!! Both worked at the same time before I switched over to the Mac Studio Ultra.

I know Monterey doesn't dance well with USB A - and I have the Monogram plugged into a hub/splitter into USB A. I'll order a USBC hub and plug it into a Thunderbolt port and see what happens - but wonder if anyone else has had anything like this happen.

Another oddity is I can see the meter moving indicating the incoming MIDI in the MIX window but not the Edit window. Strange. Not the end of the world but strange indeed.

UPDATE - I created a NEW session and everything worked fine - so the problem is limited to old sessions. I still can't see the meter moving indicating input on the Edit Window / Instrument Track, but the MIDI is going in and recording fine. And Monogram works great - AND it's controlling all the parameters without going through the MIDI LEARN process.

I LOVE the Mac Studio Ultra. It handles sessions that would collapse on my old 5.1 Mac Pro. Spitfire Audio's Symphonic Motions wouldn't begin to work on the old Mac Pro - and works fine now on the MS Ultra. So I can live with this weirdness but it is limiting.
I created a NEW session and everything worked fine - so the problem is limited to old sessions. I still can't see the meter moving indicating input on the Edit Window / Instrument Track, but the MIDI is going in and recording fine. And Monogram works great - AND it's controlling all the parameters without going through the MIDI LEARN process.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com