Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2023, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Playback stopping when ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrewer View Post
I'm very curious about how many people who are experiencing this, installed their operating system overtop of an old one, as opposed to a fresh clean install? I have usually always done fresh installs, but, for the sake of time, I installed Ventura 13.5.2 on my 2019 Mac Pro Intel - over top of Catalina, and have now been experiencing this problem. I have other colleagues who have the exact same setup, and don't have this issue.

i am tempted to wipe the drive and start fresh to see if it resolves it, but, don want to waste the 3 days it would take me to complete rebuild the machine.

Curious anyones thoughts on this?
Because the situation was driving me absolutely crazy for quite sometime, I tried both ways, more than once. Still didn't solve it for me.
Spent a heap of time on it with Apple support who raised it to engineering.... then after a few weeks I never heard back or was able to get a response to my case, without basically having to explain the lengthy process all over again.
Anyway, Sonoma has fixed everyinthg here.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 09-24-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Not sure what you mean there exactly.
Just followed the RME instructions to the letter.
I also followed the instructions. Both myself and my studio partner had the same issue where our MADIFACE XT stopped working when trying to update to the driverkit drivers. He's running an M1Pro 14" MBP and I'm running an M1Max 16" MBP. Both on Monterey.

Did you previously have the old drivers installed? If so, did you uninstall them first?

I know this is getting a bit off topic but wanted to just check and see if you had similar hoops to jump through. I'm curious whether I'll get better performance with this driver.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
I also followed the instructions. Both myself and my studio partner had the same issue where our MADIFACE XT stopped working when trying to update to the driverkit drivers. He's running an M1Pro 14" MBP and I'm running an M1Max 16" MBP. Both on Monterey.

Did you previously have the old drivers installed? If so, did you uninstall them first?

I know this is getting a bit off topic but wanted to just check and see if you had similar hoops to jump through. I'm curious whether I'll get better performance with this driver.
Sorry to hear that it's clearly been a PITA. I did have issues with the DriverKit version beta (4.0.6), as it didn't automatically remove the older .kext version.
The current (4.0.8) version does that for you when you install.
You'd be using the HDSP version of the DK Driver (v1.08or 1.09, is it not??)
Did you upgrade the Firmware on the card, prior to install?

Not sure re Monterey, as to what is heaping there.
Ventura was working with it just fine, sans, the issues related to the OS's BigSure and Ventura, where many were having issues with Core Audio interrupts etc. (but that's a whole other issue with the OS)
I am currently running the RC2 beta of Sonoma and having an excellent experience. There were a couple of initial issues with some audio driver apps (not RME) needing to be re-addresed in Privacy and Security, under System Settings. (ie remove and run again to add them).

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 09-25-2023, 06:53 AM

Under Monterey and Ventura I got worse performance with the RME 4.x driver and went back to 3.27 / 3.28 / 3.28b
This is probably unsurprising, as the new driver has to work in the user space whereas the old driver works in the system space.
RME haven't done a great job on this, they've taken a long time and got aggressive and rude in the forums when people asked what the problems were.

I'm interested in Sonoma as this audio interruption thing is pretty aggravating.
One of the main reasons (besides having a prettier GUI than Windows at the time) that Macs became the mainstay of the audio world was the priority given to CoreAudio in the kernel and how you could comfortably get reliable and low latency audio even with lots of other things going on, whereas Windows needed a lot of tuning. It amazes me that Apple have let this bug go on for half of Monterey and all of Ventura. But perhaps that just reflects their lack of interest in the audio world now....

Dominic
Old 09-25-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Under Monterey and Ventura I got worse performance with the RME 4.x driver and went back to 3.27 / 3.28 / 3.28b
This is probably unsurprising, as the new driver has to work in the user space whereas the old driver works in the system space.
RME haven't done a great job on this, they've taken a long time and got aggressive and rude in the forums when people asked what the problems were.

I'm interested in Sonoma as this audio interruption thing is pretty aggravating.
One of the main reasons (besides having a prettier GUI than Windows at the time) that Macs became the mainstay of the audio world was the priority given to CoreAudio in the kernel and how you could comfortably get reliable and low latency audio even with lots of other things going on, whereas Windows needed a lot of tuning. It amazes me that Apple have let this bug go on for half of Monterey and all of Ventura. But perhaps that just reflects their lack of interest in the audio world now....

Dominic

Thanks for that insight. I’ll probably keep things parked on the 3.x driver for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Again and this certainly didn't apply to everyone, but their forums were full of people ranting that RME weren't doing a good job with their Apple Driver Kit driver when they actually had. Unfortunately, it was an issue with Apples own OS and also the fact that Apple hadn't built in a way at the time to allow the simple removal of the previously system level kext in a DriverKit installer... that was when we had to jump through hoops with security policy settings etc... etc etc.
RME were one of the (if not) first, to release an audio DK driver. So all of this was pretty new.
I don't think the aggression was coming from RME, but those being aggressive on the forums.
Iv'e been using RME products since the Multiface and have always had excellent support from them.
Yes, they can sound abrupt and to the point, but please don't interpret that as aggression or rudeness.

Last edited by mattrixx; 09-25-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:16 PM

So glad I found this thread. Playback interruptions were driving me crazy with my Catalina > Ventura upgrade.
Re-Niceing seems to do the trick.
Created a SoundFLow macro to do it.

PT 20.3.0
S1 x2
Artist Transport
Avid Control
iPad 7th Gen
HD Native
Hackintosh i9 3.6 GHz Six Core
MTRX Studio
OSX 13.6.4
Old 04-05-2024, 08:29 AM

My Mac was auto-updated by IT to Ventura which still had problems with the virtual audio interfaces. Now I´m trying Sonoma.
First update was bad, then with the next update to latest Sonoma everything went much better.
But still sudden audio mutes or cracked audio on virtual audio interfaces, as well as audio stutters in the DAW after exporting bounces