Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 PM

Default Use MTRX Monitor control while still using C24 control surface?

No idea if this is the best section to post this in, as I can't find a section dedicated to the MTRX.

Anyway, I've been hunting for a 5.1 monitor controller solution for my room that's better than the built-in monitor section of the C24. Lots of options, but the MTRX with its upgradeability and future capability seems like a great answer.

Here's my question: I know that Eucon and C24 don't work together at all, and the monitor section of MTRX is controlled via Eucon. That said, is it possible to still use my C24 as my controller for mixing in Pro Tools while at the same time using the iPad control app for the MTRX monitor section to control speaker selection/level/input selection/fold-down/etc?

Other question: $5000 is a steep price for the MTRX! Any suggestions on a good vendor to get a used one for a better deal?

Last edited by alexeymohr; 05-18-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Use MTRX Monitor control while still using C24 control surface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexeymohr View Post
That said, is it possible to still use my C24 as my controller for mixing in Pro Tools while at the same time using the iPad control app for the MTRX monitor section to control speaker selection/level/input selection/fold-down/etc?
Yes. You turn Eucon on in DADman (the software that controls the MTRX) and you don't need to turn on eucon in Pro Tools.

In essence, the iPad talks directly to the MTRX without any overlap in Pro Tools so your Pro Tools system stays the exact way it is now with the C24. And you just keep the Pro Tools Control app on the monitoring tab.

As for price... I don't see them coming up used much other than as an "open box" situation. They are still pretty scarce compared to demand.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the reply BScout!

I was afraid that there wouldn't be much wiggle room on the price. I've seen the DAD AX32 for $1300 less, but I'm guessing it would be unwise to get that instead of the MTRX if I'm truly concerned about 100% future compatibility, correct?

I also noticed in your signature that you still list an HD Omni as well as the MTRX. I have an Omni currently as my only interface and was considering selling it and replacing it with an MTRX to help offset the cost. Is that unwise? Is there a good argument to keep both? I do post sound mixing; I almost never do any recording aside from the occasional last-minute ADR pickup. I could always get a stand-alone mic pre.

Can DAD MAN talk to the Omni at all for signal routing? I'm guessing not.

Thanks again for the guidance!
Old 05-18-2019, 10:39 PM

The DAD AX32 is 100% compatible. We have a bunch in use around the studios before Avid jumped in and partnered for the MTRX. There's no worry of it ever becoming incompatible (especially seeing as DAD does all the software/firmware for them.)

The only thing is if looking at the DAD AX32, you need to get one old enough that the digilink-mini connectors were an option. You can't get that separate anymore once Avid and DAD partnered. The only way to get the digilink-mini connectors now is by ordering the MTRX. Also, the MTRX is a bit of a pre-configured bundle of the DAD AX32. You get double power supplies and the ProMon software license included. If you buy the DAD AX32, realize you do not necessarily get the ProMon software/license (the part that makes it a monitoring solution.) And that license was around $1k. So your $1.3k savings can disappear quickly if you actually consider like for like.

I keep the Omni around for two reasons... one, it plays the part of a headphone amp (I have an AES feed from the MTRX feeding into the FPGA mixer on the OMNI.) Second, when I need a quick edit rig for surround, I split the omni off and grab an extra HDX card I have and put that together to create a quick system. Then I can leave that at a studio where I need it and leave my MTRX/HDX3 system on my large system. The Omni is just a good all-rounder to keep for connivence and quite frankly, they don't go for much on the used market so there wouldn't be much of a recoup.

And no, DADman does not talk to the Omni. You can think of the MTRX/DAD AX32 as completely independent from Avid. Everything (right down to shipping from Denmark) seems outside of Avid.