Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2013, 04:40 AM

Default McDSP MC2000 issue

Trying out a demo of the McDSP MC2000 multi-band compressor. Not too bad so far as it'll take some getting used to. What I am having an apparent issue with is this:
When I got the demo it was the latest version for a Mac. Installed no problem. However there is apparently a set of the variants that is different than what is shown on McDSP's site or in the manual (the MC202/303/404 gui's). I know there are separate gui's for the 2,3 and 4 band versions and that's not the issue.
What is the issue is there are 3 versions called MC2000 2 band/3 band/4 band in addition to the three mentioned previously in the dynamics insert menu and these 3 MC2000 versions don't return accurate metering info to either PT's metering or 3rd party metering (Blue Cat Audio in my case). What I'm saying is I can run the levels up to where it is quite audibly distorting (even maxing the levels out) and none of the metering goes into the red or lights the overload indicators in the metering. Yet if I use the MC202/303/404 versions the correct metering info is returned - I still get the same overloaded sound but the metering is now showing red and overload indicators light.
There is another issue with the MC2000 versions - there's an extra control called Release 2 which is not explained anywheres. Ideas?

I wanted to ask here before I contact McDSP and see if anyone else has noticed this. What I'm wondering is is one of these versions (either the MC202/303/404 or the MC2000 series) an older version and therefore obsolete and was included just for legacy projects that use the older version. And if one is like that - which should I use for current and new stuff? Remember this is for the system in my sig file.

Like I said - neat plugin and my first McDSP plug. Only wish it had a brickwall limiter built-in

QAPLA!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Default Re: McDSP MC2000 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There is another issue with the MC2000 versions - there's an extra control called Release 2 which is not explained anywheres. Ideas?
Sorry not sure about your other issues. The Release 2 thing I think relates to when you switch from "Type 1" to "Type 2"--It's like saving two different settings you can switch back and forth. (Release 2 goes with Type 2).

I use this plug a lot, but usually not for FX. De-essing, bass and mid control. I like the interface and think it sounds better than Waves C4. That said I am a big fan of the Legacy version with the faders, and don't like any of the Classic McDSP plugs with the new knobs. So I'm not sure what will happen when I make the switch to AAX.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
Sorry not sure about your other issues. The Release 2 thing I think relates to when you switch from "Type 1" to "Type 2"--It's like saving two different settings you can switch back and forth. (Release 2 goes with Type 2).

I use this plug a lot, but usually not for FX. De-essing, bass and mid control. I like the interface and think it sounds better than Waves C4. That said I am a big fan of the Legacy version with the faders, and don't like any of the Classic McDSP plugs with the new knobs. So I'm not sure what will happen when I make the switch to AAX.
So you're saying the one with the faders is a legacy version? That's the one with the extra control for Release 2 I can't find on the knobs version. Looking for something to help with bass & mid freq control and a one plug thing like this would help versus cobbling something together with a bunch of aux tracks, filters and compressors.

QAPLA!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
So you're saying the one with the faders is a legacy version? That's the one with the extra control for Release 2 I can't find on the knobs version. Looking for something to help with bass & mid freq control and a one plug thing like this would help versus cobbling something together with a bunch of aux tracks, filters and compressors.
I think so--my memory is that somewhere around PT 8 or 9 there were issues, I can't remember, and he came out with a fixed version featuring the new knobs-only interface more evocative of G-Channel. But then he offered the same technical fixes on a Legacy version with the older interface, the GUI I had used since about PT6. So you could opt for that. I have a feeling they'll want to keep the look of the line consistent, though, going forward, so I'd be surprised if he still offers it.

In the original versions, you could chose, I think holding some key down, between faders and knobs. I took faders and never changed back. I think the fixed version I'm talking about came out when they started referring to it as part of the "classic" package
Old 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM

Apologies to Colin at McDSP if I'm confused about any details. There is an announcement now that everything is 64-bit AAX, and a separate note within the Classic Pack description that Legacy versions are included in the package. But you never know if all parts of the site are equally updated. I hope I can still use the Legacy GUI when the time comes to make the PT11 leap.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
That said I am a big fan of the Legacy version with the faders, and don't like any of the Classic McDSP plugs with the new knobs. So I'm not sure what will happen when I make the switch to AAX.
+1, I have no idea why Colin thought the knobs are better
Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 AM

I like the knobs better in a way because the gui isn't as small on my 27" iMac as the faders version. What I don't like in either version is the coloring and visibility of certain things in the gui. The meters section is too dark - can't see meter graduations and the meter lettering is difficult at best to read. Everything else on the screen is perfectly legible/visible in PT and other plugs so it's not the screen. This is the one of those things where Blue Cat Audio excels - great readability of everything in the gui.

QAPLA!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:36 PM

You are using it in PT 10 or 11? As far as I know the mc2000 windows is NOT aax 64 yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKlein View Post
You are using it in PT 10 or 11? As far as I know the mc2000 windows is NOT aax 64 yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're talking to me I didn't have PT11 when I tried this.

QAPLA!