Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2004, 11:42 PM

Default Re: SampleTank probs

Nope, NADA, I was told right around end of November that an upgrade was going to be available in a couple of weeks. Well I downloaded I think v2.02r or something like that and had the same problems. All I can say it's a discrace SC import doesn't work as advertised. The window to deal with this has closed for me, we are in the middle of installing G5s and finishing some insane deadlines. Like I've mentioned on a previous post we are going to dedicate one of our old G4s to SSC. We've spent entirely to much money and energy for this to flop as it has. I also put as much blame on Digi as i do on IK. Digi is the one who recomended this solution to me @#$%@#$!!!!!
Now, to IKs defense we are keeping ST2XL because I do really like the way it sounds. I'm hoping with the G5 2Ghz and plenty of RAM (4.5GB) that it won't choke up as it does on our QuickSilver. That said I'm pretty confident that I'll probably never purchase anything from IK again. Finally on that note I'm currently withholding purchases from Digi a whole new room to be exact. I'm hoping that this sends the correct message where it counts.

Good Luck and if you prove successful please post.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:10 PM

Everyone, there is hope.

I have been using Sample Tank for about 18 months. I love it. It always seems to work great. I am hoping to upgrade to ST @.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:03 PM

I have been using Sampletank 2 for a few months now, and I've concluded the following:

1. I like the new interface.
2. I like the fact that you can tailor polyphony per part
3. I like the fact that you can change the color of the interface!
4. I like how it sounds
5. I like the new effects with BPM sync.

Those are the good parts..

Now the bad..

1. I hate that the plug takes up so much CPU usage..
2. It seems that you can't load whatever sound into whatever part for some reason. (I have 1 GB of RAM...)
3. When you try to change the polyphony per part, if you keep the button down, you get the spinning color wheel.
4. You can't import Sampletank 1 settings!!!!!!!
5. If you have more than one ST 2 plugin running, Pro Tools will crash like clockwork when you close a session, or quit.
6. Having one or more ST2 running really takes a toll on the CPU, whereas other samplers like EXS24(sp?) only are concerned with polyphony, regardless of how many instantiations are running.
7. There's no easy way to route each instrument somewhere without setting up a MIDI Track, an Aux, and then an Audio track to print it so you can edit without your machine feeling like a slug..

Anyway, I really like Sampletank 2, but there's a lot of unacceptable bugs here, and none of them have been dealt with since the last rev, which is dated Nov 15. By the way, when you download the new rev, did anyone notice it has the same creation date as the rev before that??

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. We appreciate hearing from IK and Digidesign directly instead of fingers pointing all over the place. Just be honest, and admit there's problems and we'll be happy to know you're working to correct them.

Thanks!

Craig

PS. It's slightly comforting to know that both Mac and PC users are having problems, not one or the other...

PPS. In spite of the problems I've been having, I still enjoy using ST2, and I've used it extensively for the past 2 or 3 projects I've produced. IK gets credit on all the albums I use it on.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:16 PM

There will be a 2.03 update in about a week that should improve a lot of problems that some people are having in OSX now. Let's wait and see what happens with this one.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:51 PM

jason, sampletank blows.

what's the point in selling somthing that does not work?

i would recomend using reason/rewire to pt. it is flawless.

you can convert akai files to refills with reload 1.0 in a blink. this combo blows soft sample cell out of the water. the only downfall is the way you have to set up the mixer to print multi outs to disk.

it always amazes me that a company like propellerheads will release almost flawless software right out of the shoot, while IK , NI and MOTU can't seem to find the dung on there arse. you know it's a big problem when you have to buy a seperate pc { not a mac }just to stream samples. PT can play back 128 tracks but these failing companys can't get a 64 meg pno patch to play back with a 16 meg ac bass patch.

pretty pathetic if you ask me.

it's esx and rewire/ pt for me.

now if they just went back to the olden days where they distributed multi format sample librarys.

then i could get the ewqlso for esx or akai? i think not. the fact that the ewqlso is exclusively dependent on NI software, sucks.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:58 PM

Hit'em where it hurts keep your $ in your pocket.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:47 PM

Robocop: I would disagree with you about ST blowing..you may not like it but there are many many people who do. Not everyone who has it has a problem with it. I think most don't. We are correcting the problems that people are having right now with it.

Propellerhead makes great software but you also have to remember that rewire is their specific architecture. When you are running plugs instead of other apps you can sometimes run into problems. That could be why things run smoothly in that situation.

I am running ST on my OSX system with very little problems thus far, but mainly I use it on my PC just because I prefer it. Many other amateur to professionals are using it now and love it.

Although there are certain problems we are dealing with, they are working on fixes as we speak.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:32 PM

Yeah, I've been streaming the PMI Bosendorfer from my assistant's Athlon PC, and I have to say, I have a COMPLETELY new appreciation for the Mac OS.. Everything just works.

The PC is like, "Oh, I found a new hardware device - it's an iLok right? Would you like to install this now? -- Are you sure you want to install it now? By the way, what color socks do you wear? Oh, I also found this USB hub thingy. Did you want me to install the driver for that too, even though you've installed it SEVENTEEN TIMES in the past three days? I seem to have problems remembering what's been installed.."

I'm about ready to kick the machine into next week. I love the speed of the Athlons, but the crappy OS just isn't worth my time..

And what's with the nVidia card S/PDIF output locked in at 48 Khz?? That's useful..

All I want is a nice piano sound without having to give Bill Gates my entire life story...
Old 01-25-2004, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Robocop: I would disagree with you about ST blowing..you may not like it but there are many many people who do. Not everyone who has it has a problem with it. I think most don't. We are correcting the problems that people are having right now with it.
Propellerhead makes great software but you also have to remember that rewire is their specific architecture. When you are running plugs instead of other apps you can sometimes run into problems. That could be why things run smoothly in that situation.
I am running ST on my OSX system with very little problems thus far, but mainly I use it on my PC just because I prefer it. Many other amateur to professionals are using it now and love it.
Although there are certain problems we are dealing with, they are working on fixes as we speak.

Jason I don't mean to be argumentative but, I strongly disagree.

I know a few ST users from down here (Texas) all the way up to NYC, and none of them are satisfied!!!

So unless your willing to take mine and few others 50+ GB of SampleCell Libraries and convert them for us I really don't understand your stance on this post.

I've said this before so I'll say it again the only positive on ST2 is it's sound and it stops there because nothing else works!!!

There are way to many problems with this software to list so I'm not. So, I'd like to hear from the success stories that you state exist on my specific problems ST2 on RTAS and SampleCell conversion.

I'll be the first to get on the cheering wagon if this product starts working as advertised but until then I find your post insulting.

I'm stopping here because I'm WAY HOT on this issue.

What I'm politely requesting is for you to post relevant solutions to our problem (if you have any) not some marketing blurb that just makes things worse IMO.

Good Week
Old 01-27-2004, 10:03 PM

I don't use Sample Tank the same way I use Reasons, or any other software synth system. But I do love using The sounds , the interface is great. Just pull up a sound ,print it to Pro-Tools, them add another track and so on and so on. Let Pt fo the work not you rtas system. I am using 7323 Quicksilver with OSX 10.2.8 and it rocks, Sure sometime it might be slow but only when I am doing a last min. overdubs with itand a full 60 track session. What ever you might have thought, Reasons is great but it is terrible to program on. It doen give you lots of molules and they sound very uare limited in their quality yet they do have a sound tha is unique.When it comes to cutting records, just commit and print the track. The move on, you can always go back and retrigger, adjsut and reprint. I love ST 2

[email protected]
Intel duel Quad core
PT 8.0cs3
HD4
D Command / D control