Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Updates AAX plugin for native Apple Silicon compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I am very happy, but where did you find this? I typically get notices from Spectrasonics but this is the first I've heard of Native support.
It was as I am sure you saw by launching the standalone app where is shows you that it needs to be updated, which is how I do it. It was not up on the website yet in the "news" section, so it was pure luck I found out.
I was on the phone with a composer friend in LA and it was so funny since we were discussing when Omnisphere for the film he is working on which is massive and then I asked him to check right then. He had checked everyday and I told him to check again now. He just checked right at 4:30pm. Lo and behold, he said to me, "It's OUT!" We ran some tests over the phone and he said it works well, of course those outdated CPU meters don't really tell you much, but he noticed a definite improvement loading a TON (250 Omnispheres with a small buffer size), and it worked great on his Mac Studio Ultra, which is exactly what I have here!

I was on a mountain bike ride yesterday so have not checked it out or updated.
I will do so this am.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-25-2023, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Public Beta: December 2022

Valhalla Just released Version 3.0 of Vintage Verb. the AAX version now works with Apple silicon natively 😎
Old 01-25-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Henderson View Post
Valhalla Just released Version 3.0 of Vintage Verb. the AAX version now works with Apple silicon natively 😎

thanks!

"please stop OVER-complicating simple things"
Old 01-25-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
It was as I am sure you saw by launching the standalone app where is shows you that it needs to be updated, which is how I do it. It was not up on the website yet in the "news" section, so it was pure luck I found out.
I was on the phone with a composer friend in LA and it was so funny since we were discussing when Omnisphere for the film he is working on which is massive and then I asked him to check right then. He had checked everyday and I told him to check again now. He just checked right at 4:30pm. Lo and behold, he said to me, "It's OUT!" We ran some tests over the phone and he said it works well, of course those outdated CPU meters don't really tell you much, but he noticed a definite improvement loading a TON (250 Omnispheres with a small buffer size), and it worked great on his Mac Studio Ultra, which is exactly what I have here!

I was on a mountain bike ride yesterday so have not checked it out or updated.
I will do so this am.

G
Yes I've tested all the Spectrasonics plugz I have and all seem to work well w/ PT Native. As for the CPU meter, it's been trash in the past but I now keep Activity Monitor's CPU meter present on my Stream Deck at all times so I've been comparing to PT's meter this past week and they're actually pretty close. This is with PT 2022.12 (both Rosetta and Native) and Monterey.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Yes I've tested all the Spectrasonics plugz I have and all seem to work well w/ PT Native. As for the CPU meter, it's been trash in the past but I now keep Activity Monitor's CPU meter present on my Stream Deck at all times so I've been comparing to PT's meter this past week and they're actually pretty close. This is with PT 2022.12 (both Rosetta and Native) and Monterey.

yeah, that is what I am hearing, but not sure I actually trust what the heck any of what these are saying-:) I think overall both systems are working better, plus they need to ad more cores in the list in the PT monitors as well.
I am WAY too tied up with work that requires a Rosetta 2 config for now with All that I have going here. No way I can really use it, so I live vicariously thru you guys..lol

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-27-2023, 01:14 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Thanks. I had a quick run though my (small) collection of plugins with a version that looked for Blue Cat Plug 'n Script and found only the few BlueCat plugins I have use that. I'll update the script and documentation and will be interesting to see if anybody besides Blue Cat is shipping plugins that use the competing Blue Cat framework. It's interesting that both systems came about from vendors developing stuff in house for themselves... always a great way to develop software. And the industry largely healed it's own wounds, the idea that plugin vendors were going to be able to develop for so many different plugin platforms, and versions of platform, etc. was just toxic. And many plugin vendors were small companies/teams... that's changing a lot now with consolidations and acquisitions everywhere no doubt spawned by an eye on subscription revenue but I hope small plugin developers can exist and succeed.

BTW since this script just needs the plugins installed not licensed you can just install the plugins and run the script to find about them. Yes I thought about having it inspect plugin installers, would not be hard, but no I'm not doing that.
Our own plug-ins actually do not use Plug'n Script, even though the framework behind is the same. But you should find a few plug-ins out there
that either use our framework or Plug'n Script.

That's a nice script that you have written by the way! I may have some suggestions to improve the detection of our own framework (will post on the other thread about it).
Old 01-30-2023, 06:51 AM

For anyone who uses FLUX plugs - they've just announced a new AS version of all tools. I only use StereoTool which is free, but it looks like it's both AAX and AAX-DSP native now.

Dominic
Old 01-30-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
For anyone who uses FLUX plugs - they've just announced a new AS version of all tools. I only use StereoTool which is free, but it looks like it's both AAX and AAX-DSP native now.
You peaked my curiosity and I signed up for an account at Flux so I could get Stereo Tool. I then had to download their Flux Center app and on first run it wanted to me to download and install Command Line Developer Tools or something like that from Apple? It was a big download it looked like and I just can't see why a developer needs me to do that to use their installer. I just bailed out.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTools1963 View Post
I only have the one Brainworx plug-in. Was looking at more that would be useful for television series work, as I mix 10 series a year. I will hold off and explore some other parametric EQ solutions that are working on the beta. Any suggestions?
FabFilter Pro-Q3. For me it's the be-all end-all parametric EQ. The link to their AAX Silicon versions is a bit higher up on this thread (around page 40).
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 01-30-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Steele View Post
You peaked my curiosity and I signed up for an account at Flux so I could get Stereo Tool. I then had to download their Flux Center app and on first run it wanted to me to download and install Command Line Developer Tools or something like that from Apple? It was a big download it looked like and I just can't see why a developer needs me to do that to use their installer. I just bailed out.
Yeah, that part is odd. I cancelled the install the first time it happened and the Flux Command Centre ran fine without it. I actually installed the whole thing today - they’re just the standard Apple Developer Toolkit so not harmful, but it certainly is an oversight which I’m guessing the testers never see because they’re devs, and they already have them installed. Anyway, the StereoTool serves a function that is native in S1 and so I’m used to having something like it available and it’s a handy thing to have, but a faff to install a dedicated software manager just for one plug and even worse to get prompted to load 2.7GB support files.

Dominic