Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-11-2021, 11:48 PM

Default CPU overload even system usage is all good

I get message that I attached as picture in this message saying CPU power did ran out.

Strange thing is that system usage is not even close to full. I had this issue before upgraded my Mac Pro but I still keep having the issue.

I upgraded my 2012 Mac Pro from 6-core processor to 12-core 3,06ghz and upgraded RAM from 32 to 128GB.

I'm quite sure this is not a real CPU issue but rather that some settings are wrong or plugins are not working correctly etc.

Can you help out?

I use EastWest plugins + Spectrasonics.

As I checked other threads on this topic I noticed this same issue happens also with newer PT versions. So I can surely upgrade my PT but that probably will not fix this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Näyttökuva 2021-9-11 kello 14.25.24.jpg (53.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-11-2021, 11:58 PM

Default Re: CPU overload even system usage is all good

Moro.

CPU spiking is most definetely plugin issue. Review your plugin versions and see if you need to update (or downgrade) something. PT12 is already so old it may even be so that newer plugin version causes trouble with it, however unlikely.

Only way you can test this is throw the plugins to "unused" folder, then bring them back to plugin folder one vendor at a time. You will know when the trouble comes back, then focus on those plugins.

You do not even need to instantiate the problematic plugin on your session. It is enough that it is loaded into memory when PT starts.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:12 AM

I never used PT12, so I'm not shure if it has the option to set how many cores to use in playback engine settings. But this is what worked in PT10; set PT to use one or two less cores than max, and these cpu errors would go away.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:33 AM

Thanks for reply Jfreak and and Ben.

Jfreak, meanwhile here I've opened up PT session with shift on so that I load one by one every instance of my "play" plugin (from soundsonline.com). I can see that load increases smoothly, no pikes. But still that CPU error starts again right after few seconds after playback starts. I've done optimization settings guided by Avid. Also I've reinstalled my PT 12.4 but no effect.

I've created incident for soundsonline.com on this, lets see what they answer. Also I've purchased crossgrade license (89 EUR) for able to use more fresh PT version. In fact there is also problem since after bought it yesterday the new license does not show in my account on Avid, only old one with option to buy crossgrade for 89 EUR =) So hope Avid responds to me

Ben, I'm not able to share CPU core load more equally in different cores, I'd love to but playback engine does not have setting like that.

I'm highly grateful for any further advice. I promise to update this thread as soon I get some progress on this issue, hopefully witihn 1-2 days.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjohe View Post
Ben, I'm not able to share CPU core load more equally in different cores, I'd love to but playback engine does not have setting like that.
Too bad.
You mention upgrading - both hardware and OS I'd imagine. I know Janne (Jfreak) will agree with me that many times we see that upgrading Mac OS will cause instabilities w/PT. So, I suggest, if you can, do a fresh install, perhaps on a separate drive, of a compatible combination of mac os and PT12. It's been a life-saver many-a-times. A lot of work, but it often works. And with this type of cpu error problems in particular.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Too bad.
You mention upgrading - both hardware and OS I'd imagine. I know Janne (Jfreak) will agree with me that many times we see that upgrading Mac OS will cause instabilities w/PT. So, I suggest, if you can, do a fresh install, perhaps on a separate drive, of a compatible combination of mac os and PT12. It's been a life-saver many-a-times. A lot of work, but it often works. And with this type of cpu error problems in particular.
I have upgraded only hardware (from 6-core to 12-core and from 32MB to 128MB). But I still have my old High Sierra 10.13.6. In fact I can't even upgrade for i.e Mojave or later since my setup does not have graphics card that would support Mojave. But as per PT compatibility matrix PT 2020.12 supports still high sierra and I have now 12.4... so I should still be able to upgrade with my current Mac OS to much newer version just fine. For that I purchased the crossgrade (with problems I mentioned).

That reinstalling of my current high sierra with PT12.4 again would be one way yes, I just need to find out how this reinstall of high sierra would work.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjohe View Post
I have upgraded only hardware (from 6-core to 12-core and from 32MB to 128MB). But I still have my old High Sierra 10.13.6. In fact I can't even upgrade for i.e Mojave or later since my setup does not have graphics card that would support Mojave. But as per PT compatibility matrix PT 2020.12 supports still high sierra and I have now 12.4... so I should still be able to upgrade with my current Mac OS to much newer version just fine. For that I purchased the crossgrade (with problems I mentioned).

That reinstalling of my current high sierra with PT12.4 again would be one way yes, I just need to find out how this reinstall of high sierra would work.
My point is; a clean install (OS install on empty formatted disk) is best for PT, as opposed to an upgrade on top of existing OS. If you can, you should try it. As I said, it's worked for me many times. And often when dealing with hard-to-troubleshoot things like -1971 cpu errors.