Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-12-2021, 11:12 PM

Default can I have pt10 and a monthly on the same ilok

Hi

I think I need to dip into protools 12 for a job I have coming up. basically want to use the excellent matchbox for picture reconform.

I'm not ready to go to 12 yet? ( video card issue basically) i want to keep running in 10/11 ( hey its paying the rent )

can I do this? also session will be surround

cheers
Old 08-13-2021, 12:53 AM

Default Re: can I have pt10 and a monthly on the same ilok

By renaming an earlier Mac version of Pro Tools, you can then install multiple versions on the same drive – see:

2021.6 install on the same drive as 2020.9.1
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415947

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Just rename the older version of the app file within the Applications folder, then install the new version. You will then have both installed. The driver and firmware updates are usually backward compatible. I often use PT Prefs app to make a back up of my old prefs files for the old version, in case something gets whacky. And, most importantly, I always make a bootable clone using Carbon Copy Cloner before installing the new version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
And of course, you can guarantee that different PT versions using the same prefs and libs and stuff won't cause problems?
Have you jumped between versions much to verify?
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I use Pete Gate's app PT Prefs to back up my prefs in general. Then, when I am installing a new version, I duplicate the backup folder and label it with the PT version so I have a backup of the backup that's tied to a specific version. That way, if I need to roll back, I know I have a clean set of prefs that are known to work with a specific version.
But I actually haven't had many if any issues jumping back and forth between versions. Of course, there are certain version jumps where there can be certain incompatibilities, like a version where they re-wrote the Workspace Catalog databases, and once updated, they couldn't be reverted. But on first launch of the new version, PT threw up a warning and suggested backing up the old database in case the conversion to the new format got corrupted. I don't really use Workspace Catalogs, so it wasn't an issue for me.

iLok
You can have all your Pro Tools licenses on one iLok
To use Pro Tools 10/11, you may have to Deactivate Pro Tools 12 in the latest version of iLok License Manager (and later Activate when needed)
After adding or moving a license, right-click on the iLok in the LH column of iLok License Manager and select “Synchronize” – this takes a short while.
Once done, exit iLok License Manager, reboot, launch Pro Tools
Old 08-13-2021, 06:10 PM

More on installing multiple versions on the same drive:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
... on Mac you need to specifically hack the application file (folder) to disable that automatic copying, should you ever want to. And why would you? Maybe if you have multiple versions installed and you wish to keep most current plugins always, so disable the copying from older versions.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:35 PM

hi unkJE - thanks for that.. great info.

actually I will run 12 on a different startup I think so sidestepping a lot of that stuff

I guess activating and deactivating should be straightforward

so the surround stuff is supported in the monthly subscrition model?

I literally just want to use something to speed up a resync.. then flip back to normal partition...
Old 08-13-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork-media View Post
...I guess activating and deactivating should be straightforward ...

With iLok connected, login to (the latest version of) iLok License Manager (ILM)
Clicking on your iLok in the LH column of ILM will show your selected iLok’s licenses
Right-click on license, select “Deactivate” – wait for the process to complete
Right-click on iLok in the LH column of ILM and select “Synchronize”
Logout of ILM
Restart computer
Launch Pro Tools

To “Activate” this license again, in ILM, go to “View > Available licenses
Right-click on license, select “Activate” – wait for the process to complete
Right-click on iLok in the LH column of ILM and select “Synchronize”
Logout of ILM
Restart computer
Launch Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by fork-media View Post
… so the surround stuff is supported in the monthly subscrition model? ...
Subscription currently gets you Pro Tools 2021.7 – so please check:
Avid Knowledge Base - Pro Tools Operating System Compatibility Chart
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart
macOS Mojave (10.14.6)
macOS Catalina (10.15.7)
macOS Big Sur (11.4)

You can test your system with the free Pro Tools Ultimate Trial:
https://my.avid.com/get/pro-tools-ultimate-trial

https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison
For surround: $89.99 Pro Tools Ultimate Monthly subscription from the Avid Store
Monthly Subscription, Paid Monthly - You're tied to a 30-day Subscription Term
Includes “Avid Complete Plugin Bundle, free Inner Circle gifts, and more”

The onus is on you to Cancel your Subscription by toggling Auto-renew switch ‘OFF’ - see:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Subscriptions
AUTO RENEWAL
When you purchase an annual subscription on the Avid Online Store, auto-renew is automatically turned on and selected in your MyAvid Master Account. At the end of the annual subscription period, Avid automatically renews your subscription and will bill you for an additional subscription term of one year at the current pricing. If you do not wish your subscription to auto-renew, you may turn off the auto-renew toggle button in your MyAvid Master Account prior to the end of your current subscription term. Note: You may re-enable the auto-renew toggle button at any time during your subscription term.

MANUAL RENEWAL
If you chose to disable the auto-renew toggle button, you have the option to manually renew your subscription on or before your current subscription term.
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ons&popup=true
When you sign up to purchase or rent AVID Subscriptions, it will be an automated payment transaction every month or year. After the first subscription transaction is complete, you will receive a new license which is valid for 30 days (Monthly and Annual subscriptions (Paid Monthly)) or a year (for Annual subscriptions (Paid Upfront)).

Please take note that for subscriptions purchased from the Avid Online Store, Auto-renew is automatically selected in your Avid Account. If you do not wish your subscription to auto-renew, you may toggle the switch OFF in your Avid account prior to the end of your current subscription term.

Avid Knowledge Base
Avid Online Store: Can I upgrade my Regular subscription to the Ultimate version?
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...on-to-Ultimate
NO.
We don't have a direct switch path hence we are unable to convert subscription licenses as these are system-generated.

If you want to use the Ultimate version, you must purchase a totally separate new Pro Tools | Ultimate/Media Composer | Ultimate/Sibelius | Ultimate license.

Last edited by unkJE; 08-13-2021 at 10:25 PM. Reason: added: " free Pro Tools Ultimate Trial" info
Old 08-27-2021, 08:13 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

PT 10 license is completely separate from any new licenses.
If you already have 10 license on the iLok, they can co-exist without you having to do anything. Unless it's an upgrade of some kind and you have to surrender 10 license.

If you have an HDX card, you'll need to upgrade the firmware to run latest ultimate, this may or may not affect your ability to load 10, not sure.

Why can't you move on from 10? You can get a Blackmagic card for peanuts these days for video playback.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 09-10-2021, 04:38 PM

hi thanks for the info - I might go look at new video card. have also seen AJA T tap as well - altho thats not supported anymore - I heard it still works? have blackmagic sorted their driver issues? what card should I consider

I guess I was just happy bumbling along in 10 - its been solid and I wasnt interested in tinkering. I do have 11 HD as well, so might just use that as I did use it for a job earlier in the year. They stopped drop box support so thats incentive to move up as I like the auto backup off site

whats the advantage of ultimate these days?
Old 09-10-2021, 06:29 PM

looking at blackmagic now, yes they are more affordable.

not sure whether to go with the UltraStudio Monitor 3G on thunderbolt. playback only. ( guess thats all I need )

https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Black...ategoryId=1270

ntensity Shuttle. on USB 3 gives me ins and outs for an extra NZ$150 - and a bit more flexibility?

https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Black...ategoryId=1270

going to have a read over the weekend, buy something monday,
Old 09-10-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post

If you want to use the Ultimate version, you must purchase a totally separate new Pro Tools | Ultimate/Media Composer | Ultimate/Sibelius | Ultimate license.
thanks dude that's really nailed it for me. I guess i got stuck in rut for a while..