How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-02-2021, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Dear Avid, Please Make a mini HDX Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I don't know what is wrong with the artists you are recording, but as far as I know HDN|TB and old 192 boxes are perfectly okay with 256 buffer on 48k session. Even if some artist has a bad day and complains, first thing I do is say I fix it and do nothing -- next take is perfect.
Glad I’ll never be recording at your place. 128 is tops for me and the majority of musicians I know and 128 is even stretching it.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 09-02-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I don't know what is wrong with the artists you are recording, but as far as I know HDN|TB and old 192 boxes are perfectly okay with 256 buffer on 48k session. Even if some artist has a bad day and complains, first thing I do is say I fix it and do nothing -- next take is perfect.
Jesus, if that's how you treat your clients
Old 09-02-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Jesus, if that's how you treat your clients

I will give them more plugin performance for whatever they request next, nothing more. And if they complain again after I tell I have fixed it then I make the change and tell that I made it even better. You see, on a bad day even one sample of latency is too much but nobody can afford things to be that realtime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2021, 09:42 AM

I'm sorry, but no. Pull out a guitar and do some tremolo picking or use a keyboard and quickly alternate between two notes and you can very easily tell the difference between the buffer at 64 vs 128.

With my newest intel build (i9, windows) I can get pretty plugin heavy while keeping the buffer at 64 and using zero-latency plugins, so I do agree with the argument that DSP is no longer needed for many, but not everyone has the means to purchase a brand spanking new system, so I can see there being a need for a DSP box. Has anyone tried a card using the chassis below? Can't find much info about it, so not sure if it can be used in tandem with a 3rd-party interface. Would be nice if it functions like the UAD satellite boxes.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...esktop-chassis
Old 09-02-2021, 10:06 AM

Anything above 128 at 44.1 is useless for tracking. Usually keep it at 64 for initial tracking, then 128 for overdubs (unless its fast hi-hat work/percussion, fast picking, or picky vocalists.)
Old 09-02-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Anything above 128 at 44.1 is useless for tracking. Usually keep it at 64 for initial tracking, then 128 for overdubs (unless its fast hi-hat work/percussion, fast picking, or picky vocalists.)
I still remember the time when 128 was lowest setting available, and people were praising how fast it is...
Old 09-03-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I still remember the time when 128 was lowest setting available, and people were praising how fast it is...
People also put up with 640KB of conventional RAM for a long time. Doesn't mean it didn't need to improve.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:39 PM

Bad comparison. Human hearing does not change, or "evolve" so fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
i'd even say that with buffer at 512 on 24/96 is good too.
I actually have some like 2,82ms latency with HDN Pcie on a 80 tracks session fully mixed.

BUT i sometimes get some bad buffer messages that stops the recording or play.

And no way to have UAD plugins activated or latency directly goes up to more than 30ms !!! UAD really sucks for that and fortunately i'm no UAD freak

Quote:
There is absolutely zero reason for DSP to be on a card today. Thunderbolt bus is fast enough to handle realtime. And so is native processing.
Still i really am curious to see how much latency i'd have on that same session with hdx card
Besides dsp cards are quite more reassuring compared to native but that's just my feeling because my tdm rig still remains my main workstation
Not sure at all because i hadn't got a change to test but, i'd be ready to bet that i would not have any buffer messages with HDX like the ones i have with HDN
Mac Pro 2x 2.66GHz 6-Core / 96 Go Ram / PE6R4-i - HD Native - Tempo Sata Pro 6Gb - PTHD : 10 / 11 /12 / Ultimate till 2022.5 - 192 i/o Digidesign - MTPAV - OSX : 10.4 / 10.5 / 10.6.8 / 10.8.5 / 10.9.5 / 10.11.6 / 10.13.6 / 10.14.6 - PowerMac G4 MDD / Pro Tools HD 5.3 / 6 / 7.4x / 8
Old 09-04-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovebrother View Post
i'd even say that with buffer at 512 on 24/96 is good too.
512 at 96 is same playback latency as 256 at 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovebrother View Post
Still i really am curious to see how much latency i'd have on that same session with hdx card
Avid HD interface roundtrip ADDA latency at 48kHz is 25 samples. Same 25 samples at 96kHz, and 22 samples at 192kHz. In milliseconds these would be 0.52, 0.26 and 0.11 -- so there you have a reason to run a high sample rate session for tracking and then SRC to 48k for mixing.

But with that said, it is mostly people who think of themselves being tech gods that are concerned about latency. For comparison, very common live console Yamaha LS9 has a roundtrip latency of 2.5ms (equivalent to 128 playback buffer). Somehow no artist has ever complained on stage when monitoring thru LS9.