Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2001, 02:25 PM

Default Sync recording from sequencer

I'm trying to record audio from my keyboard into protools. I need to record all the tracks seperately at different takes from a sequence. I need to have protools automatically start recording when I press "play" on my sequencer (k2500), or have protools make my keyboard start playing when I start recording so all the tracks line up. I'm new to protools, I've read through some stuff but haven't found anything useful except using the "wait for note" along with doing a 4 beat count off on my sequencer. However when I do this the first click is cut off, and I have my doubts as to if this is really a good way to do it, since I'm not recording midi only audio. Whats the best way to do this? I can only record 1 stereo track at a time from my keyboard.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Sync recording from sequencer

Once you get the system to sync you'll be very happy...Try this. set your sequencer to External sync. In Protools setup the session w/ bars and beats and enter the same bpm as the sequence. In "session setup" you should be able to tell Protools to send midi time code out to your k2500. press play on Protools.. the sequence should start.

If you find yourself going bonkers w/ the Midi thing... here's a solution that will take advantage of Protools strongest suit.

Create a bar of click at the beginning of your sequence.
Play your sequence 2 tracks at a time into Protools...( make sure to record the bar of click w/ each pair)
When you're done, simply sync up the tracks "by hand" using the click reference.

Good luck
|
Old 08-09-2001, 04:55 PM

set your k2500 to recieve MIDI CLOCK or set it to external midi clock...in midi part on pro tools screen, click digi001 as the port to send out of...make your normal MIDI connections(in to out, and out to in)...set tempo in pro tools to the same tempo as your sequencer....press record and play in pro tools and it will start your k2500

i do this exact process every single day of my life with my mpc2000
Old 08-09-2001, 05:37 PM

I finally figured out how to get it to work. For some reason it won't sync unless I turn "midi beat clock" on. Then it sync fine, using either my keyboard's midi clock or protools clock. I do notice a big delay if I use the protools clock, so I guess I'll be using my keyboards clock even though I would think the computer should be more accurate.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:32 PM

James,
If you manage to just get all the midi information into PT(each Midi track should show up with its own fader in Mix Window, and all the notes showing in Edit Window) post back and let me know.
I will then tell you exactly the best way to get optimal stereo sound from each instrument in your keyboard.
I just don't want to elaborate yet, because you may take a different route.
Just let me know if you get all the midi track info.
Roy
Old 08-09-2001, 11:35 PM

that delay your referring to is the latency

when you play your stuff back the delay won't be there