Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2022, 01:32 PM

Default Crash when sliding clips

I've been having a frequent crash for the last few versions that's been a bit hard to diagnose the exact cause of, since it seems super mundane, but I think I've finally narrowed it down. I think it may have to do with the visual glitches that we're still experiencing

Basically, Pro Tools will crash on me when I try to click and drag a clip to overlap two clips if I'm zoomed in too far. I often need to align waveforms to shorten or lengthen notes for the work I do, so this has been really hard to work around. The part that's been inconsistent was that it doesn't happen every time, but I've finally realized that it happens only when there's another crossfade later in that clip that is going to be resized because of my move. Also, I just tried it with layered editing turned off, and it seems that this problem only occurs with layered editing on.

It's super easy for me to recreate in any session now, and you can try it in a section of timeline that doesn't ruin your session. Take any unedited clip, copy/paste it somewhere on the timeline. Split the clip, then crossfade where you split (anywhere, this is arbitrary). Split the clip somewhere earlier than your crossfade. Zoom in on that split quite a lot. Try dragging the clip on the right earlier. Crash. Basically, it freezes with the spinning beach ball; no error message, and I need to force quit it

Anyone else?
Universal Audio Apollo x16 (x3)

Last edited by mtmusic; 05-30-2022 at 01:43 PM. Reason: better description of what the crash looks like
Old 08-10-2022, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Crash when sliding clips

I've also been having the same problem. Did you ever find a fix? Like you mentioned, it's a real speed bump for certain types of editing
Old 08-10-2022, 01:35 PM

Using 2022.7 and Monterey 12.5

Following the repro exactly, tried more than once, including Layered Editing being on, etc,

Either there is a bit more to the repro conditions of the system, but

I was able to move the clip with no beachball or crash.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 08-11-2022, 09:28 AM

Honestly, it seems very random. When I posted this, it was happening 100% of the time with those exact repro conditions, super easily. And it wasn't the first time that this exact problem had been plaguing me, so I posted about it. Then, later that day, I restarted my computer, and it didn't reproduce. But I'd had the issue before! It wasn't the first time, otherwise I wouldn't have posted about it... So I really don't know what to make of it. It's a hard to pin down bug I guess. I guess the only solution that I have is, try to restart your computer and see if it helps? It's very frustrating
Universal Audio Apollo x16 (x3)
Old 08-11-2022, 10:41 AM

I believe in bugs! Just couldn't repro over here.

Maybe eventually you'll notice a common thread in usage that causes the issue shortly after. There are so many little bugs for so many users. Hmm!
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 08-12-2022, 04:04 AM

It's funny, I was working out of a different studio than normal yesterday and had some downtime while the client was out of the room. I tried to reproduce it over there by splitting a clip, putting in a crossfade and then moving the crossfade around (dragging the crossfade is the main way I've been able to reproduce the problem). Nothing. The house engineer got a little curious about what I was doing so I explained what I'd been running into, moved a crossfade on a different track - immediate crash.

Both crossfades were over two clips from the same whole audio file. I'm working at another different studio today, I'll look into this today after my session. I did just remember that when I was able to reproduce it yesterday the clips were from different playlisted segments of the same audio file and were different colors from the way I'd playlisted them. Might just be grasping at straws but it's at least another variable to look into
Old 10-22-2022, 10:17 AM

I can reproduce this on PT 2022.09 and Windows 11 22H2. In fact I can create a blank session, create just one track with a clip and any movement of overlapping clips or moving any crossfade crashes PT when zoomed in sufficently enough.

I've had what I think was the same problem about a year ago though then I thought it was session or track related and didn't really try to recreate it. Now it happens in every session on every track. Gonna try and completely reinstall PT now...

EDIT: Didn't need to reinstall PT. Deleting "Pro Tools Prefs.ptp" in "AppData\Roaming\Avid\Pro Tools" (on Windows) fixed the problem. However, this unsurprisingly also clears all your preferences.

This is not really an acceptable solution to a bug of this caliber, but better than not being able to work...

Last edited by Fricia; 10-22-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:59 AM

Hi thanks you just saved me a lot of grief.

I can confirm this is STILL an active bug when using layered editing and just toggling it off isn't enough to stop the hang without clearing the Pro Tools prefs file out of the ~/Library/Preferences/Avid/pro tools folder first..
Old 05-31-2023, 04:16 PM

Okay this is great info.

I've noticed this since I've upgraded to 2022.7 and when I would create a cross fade then slide it the spinning ball of enlightenment would pop up and I would have to force quit PT.

So trash preferences ?