Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Default plug-in freeze, crash... HELP

So it's been a while since I've done home recording... I recently bought a new powerful mac (snow leopard), updated my pro-tools Version (8.0.3pr), updated my drivers for Firewire 410, updated all plug-ins.

Finally after that annoying process of getting the ilok and everything to OPEN... I'm ready to go.

I open up my first instrument track... have tried, exdrummer, Kontakt 2, and some pro-tools plug-ins. right after I hit a couple of notes, the sound level meter freezes, then no more sound comes out... restart, same thing... couple of notes then crash... I opened the cpu usage window, and it was using under 5% or something when it crashed... this actually started before I updated to 8.0.3pr, so I was very hopeful that the update would do the trick, but no...

I'm not as savvy as many on here, so please treat me as I know nothing, and I'm stupid... perhaps it's just a simple preference (i hope), as it's all just been set up, so this system might be set up wrong... Please Please Please help me.

THANKS SO MUCH,
jason
Old 12-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Avid

Default Re: plug-in freeze, crash... HELP

I know for sure you didn't update plug-ins, because Kontakt 2 is in no way compatible with Pro Tools 8. You need a minimum of 3.5, though 4.0.2 (or higher) is best.

Most likely you have other incompatible plug-ins installed, which will definitely cause crashes and other bad behavior. You should visit our Plug-In Compatibility Grid and remove or update any incompatible versions (use the right-most column for minimum version info..).
Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 PM

this has happened with pro tools plug-ins that came with pro-tools, after a fresh restart without opening any other plug-in.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonforman View Post
this has happened with pro tools plug-ins that came with pro-tools, after a fresh restart without opening any other plug-in.
Just having incompatible plug-ins in your plug-ins folder can cause these kinds of problems.

Did you look at the General Troubleshooting thread? See how the line regarding plug-ins is in red and refers you to a post below for more info?

We put it in red for a reason. It's important.