Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2023, 09:37 AM

Default Confused about which package to purchase

I have an old perpetual license for PT11 (currently 11.3.1)
I recently got an Akai midi controller that I can't get to work, and I've determined that I just need to upgrade to a newer PT, since 11 technically isn't compatible with my Windows 10

Looking at resellers, though, I'm super confused on what I need to get. I think I should be able to just upgrade to a more recent perpetual license? Not sure

The items I'm looking at are:

1) Avid Pro Tools Studio Annual Software Updates and Support, Renewal of Perpetual Licenses, Automatic Annual Payment ($199/year)

2) Avid Pro Tools Studio 1-Year Software Updates and Support, Reinstatement of Perpetual Licenses, One-Time Payment ($349)

I'll need the 2nd one, right? Since it's been so long since I originally purchased my license?

I'm a student as well, I know back in 2015 I was able to get a student price, is that still available somewhere?
Old 04-13-2023, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Confused about which package to purchase

Welcome to the community.

Correct, the second option is the one you'd need (from a reseller) since you own a Pro Tools 11 license. That will upgrade you from that older version to the current version + a year of releases. There's no EDU discount on these upgrades. https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/upgrades-and-renewals
Old 04-13-2023, 12:01 PM

And to your other concerns, what interface are you using, which exact Akai product and how is it connected? Based on my own experience with an Akai Advance 61, the Akai software that is supposed to all for plugin control never worked for me(and some research indicates that it won't work with Pro tools). However, using it as a generic midi controller works fine once it is configured correctly. On Windows, this is done under Setup>Midi>Midi Studio setup(NOT under the Peripherals menu). In the proper menu window, create a new midi "instrument" and name it as you like(I named mine simply Akai). Brand and model are not required. The crucial setting here is the Input Path. If you are connecting the Akai with a USB cable, this dropdown menu should have something like "Akai(model) on USB[Emulated]"(without the quotes). The correct choice is probably going to be obvious. Leave all a6 midi channels selected(in blue) on the input side. The output channels don't matter as you are not sending midi back to the keyboard. If(like me) you connect the Akai with a midi cable to your interface, the input path would refer to the interface' midi input.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-13-2023, 12:15 PM

You can test everthing works with a free copy of Pro Tools Intro, it is exactly the same software install as Artist, studio and Ultimate, and works with all the same plugins and ASIO interfaces. So start there before purchasing anything and see if stuff works, you can later just add a license to Studio on your iLok to remove the Intro product restrictions.

If Intro works, it might be all you need, or you can spend time seeing if you qualify for a student price, that info is on Avid's website.

Also if moving to Studio, realize you are likely committing to paying that annual update/support fee.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:13 AM

@albee1952

It’s an Akai MPK mini connected with USB, and I’ve gone through every setting imaginable, and no luck with the midi studio setup. I’ve taken the keyboard to school and hooked it up there on an updated protocols and it works fine, plug and play. All my settings match the school computer settings.

@Darryl Ramm

Thanks, I’ll definitely check that out and see if it works!
If I do move to Studio, i was honestly just going to update once, ride out the year support plan, and then not renew and just take this update as far as it will take me. PT11 has lasted me 7 years, hoping to get at least a few out of the next one. Is that wishful thinking? Am I missing something that makes that plan a bad one?
Old 04-14-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aintzane411 View Post
@albee1952

It’s an Akai MPK mini connected with USB, and I’ve gone through every setting imaginable, and no luck with the midi studio setup. I’ve taken the keyboard to school and hooked it up there on an updated protocols and it works fine, plug and play. All my settings match the school computer settings.

If I do move to Studio, i was honestly just going to update once, ride out the year support plan, and then not renew and just take this update as far as it will take me. PT11 has lasted me 7 years, hoping to get at least a few out of the next one. Is that wishful thinking? Am I missing something that makes that plan a bad one?
I do not know what "protocols " is. BUT I use an Akai MPK 249 49 key midi keyboard USB to computer and it works just fine on my system below

You can certainly just get a Perpetual reinstatement and then not renew it yearly, and will likely run a long time. BUT !!!! be aware that the perpetual "reinstatement" option -- in the future, is throw of the dice, because it depends on how long and if, Avid will offer Perpetual reinstatements into the future ? Because if they don't and your perpetual becomes expired AND 3 party dealers no longer have stock of reinstatement plans --you would at point only be able to purchase a subscription.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...