Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-11-2001, 11:38 AM

Default Using an aux to route to multiple output pairs

I have powered monitors connected directly to outputs 1/2 of my converter, and often use 3/4 to run to a small mixer for headphones, making quick reference tapes etc.

I often set up sessions where everything routes to a stereo aux which ouputs to 1/2 and has a send to 3/4 (with everything at unity). The only problem with this is that, if the entire mix gets hot enough to clip the aux, it can only be corrected by bringing down individual tracks, since the aux doesn't have extra headroom as do the master faders.

This generally isn't a big issue for me as my sessions don't generally have many tracks. Is there a better way to do this, and are there other problems/issues with using an aux in this manner?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 11-11-2001, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Using an aux to route to multiple output pairs

I use sends when tracking, and set them to show faders to set up headphone mixes, then just get rid of them when mixing... Just route them to whatever outputs you'd like. Since the cue send mixes won't have any effect to your large faders, You have more flexibility instead of actually setting up submixes to send to AUX out's. T
Old 11-11-2001, 02:08 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by tld:
The only problem with this is that, if the entire mix gets hot enough to clip the aux, it can only be corrected by bringing down individual tracks, since the aux doesn't have extra headroom as do the master faders.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not put a master fader for aux then?
Przemek.
Old 11-11-2001, 05:52 PM

Can't you just send the mix to both outputs at the same time
Old 11-11-2001, 06:32 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Produceher:
Can't you just send the mix to both outputs at the same time<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

how do you do that? I perused the I/O setup, tried to Shift-select an additional channel out, and it doesn't seem possible. I know this was mentioned as a feature of 5.1, but I don't understand.

uh oh, someone is going to tell me to RTFM.

www.tompaul.com
Old 11-11-2001, 07:22 PM

As yet I'm using 5.0.1 (hopefully will upgrade soon), so I'd have to put sends on every channel to output to more than one pair.

Przemek: Maybe I've just missed something fundamental about master faders here. The aux I'm using to send to both ouput pairs gets input from a buss pair. How can I use a master fader to do this?

Tom
Old 11-12-2001, 06:18 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by tld:
Przemek: Maybe I've just missed something fundamental about master faders here. The aux I'm using to send to both ouput pairs gets input from a buss pair. How can I use a master fader to do this?

Tom
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Master fader can control any output - aux too. I'm not sure about headroom (is it the same as on physical output) but why not? I do it to control output to headphones all the time, not because headroom but because it distorts my Furman system.
Przemek.