Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Focusrite Voicemaster Pro

Hi

Bit of a beginner at this, I'm using a Digi 002 to produce some simple demos. I've just got a Focusrite Voice Master Pro and was hoping someone could advise on the best way I can hook up so I can send the signal from Pro Tools to the Voicemaster and back into Pro Tools.

I've read Chapter 27 regarding using Hardware inserts but I'm confused by the I/O settings.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Gary
Old 09-01-2004, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Voicemaster Pro

That chapter is the one so read again? In any case, you will have to slip the track forward after to compensate for latency due to converting to analog and back to digital. I'm not convinced you can't match or beat the sound using plugins and staying "inside the box".

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-03-2004, 08:55 AM

Hi

Thanks for the info but it's somewhat confusing. Have read the chapter several times but still confused. Do I use the Voicemaster as an insert, thus inserting the signal into Pro Tools? How do I configure and set up to get the signal out of Pro Tools to the Focusrite and back in again. Latency isn't going to be much of a problem. Which box are you referring to when you say "inside the box"?

Surely there are many situations out there where people route a hardware outboard processor through Pro Tools?!

Thanks

Gary
Old 09-03-2004, 09:33 AM

If you already have a recorded track, lets say a lead vocal part you could use your VM PRO and process that track. Route the vocal track to out 3 or 4 and connect it to your VMPRO in. Then out from the Voice master and into any of the line inputs 5,6,7 or 8 of your 002. Do not use 1,2,3,4 since they are the pre amps of your 002 unit.

Some people would go for the most common approach which would be to process that already recorded track with plug ins you have "in your box" meaning the plug ins you have installed and reside inside your PC which can be used with your PT LE application.

Traditionally, a pre amp like the voicemaster pro is used when you are "going in" (when you are initially recording a track) in order to compress the signal and obtain the sound you want. This unit has compression, Eq, and dehesser, which can help you get a good sounding track going in.

People with experience do this all the time, since they know what they want and how to get it from the very beginning. Other people want to process later, so it is a matter of knowledge and choice.

So you have some choices... listen to your results. Pick, use and master the best one but get familiar with the others.

record going in with your VMpro.
record without it and process later, with the vmpro as an insert, or with your plug ins.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:55 AM

If your intent was to use it like that then you should have purchased the TwinTrak Pro since it has the digital I/O, routing and monitoring to setup that way.
The VoiceMaster Pro is more of a frontend, while the TwinTrak Pro has features and connections to go back and forth digitally, while allowing monitoring and such.