Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2021, 03:14 PM

Default Re: 2021.12 | Release Notes

iLok's biggest fault is plugin version management. It does not tell you anything else the license supports except where it can be authorized. Zero information in this case.

Same plugin management is missing in PT. You just need to go through every vendor's homepages and see if there are updates and which OS/PT are supported.

PITA but what can you do. Point Avid is making here is once PT software and iLok software are Apple Silicon native, there will be a bunch of plugin updates coming and the most proactive already have updated to the new iLok requirements.

With that said, Avid extra plugins have not been updated for a while, but maybe they launch new installers along with Apple Silicon native PT. Who knows?

I am testing this M1 mac mini now and it is really a lot of work right now. As it was with the PPC to Intel transition as well.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:32 PM

Ah boy, thanks for the warning Janne. That IS a lot of work.

I'll skip this update for now, definitely. Only when I have the time/inclination between jobs. Feb maybe...

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-08-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
So the big question is - without first installing 2021.12, how do I know WHICH plugins are not updated to the latest protocols?
Only the plugin manufacturers can provide the information, not iLok nor Avid.

What I often do is use a separate hard drive (a cloned drive is ideal) and upgrade on that drive to see what happens. If all goes well with your needed plugins, you are good. If things go poorly, simply swap back to your original drive and you are right bback to where you started. The price for a hard drive is relative cheap to offer you this option for testing your plugins.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-08-2021, 03:50 PM

^^ this cloning method is soon obsolete. Apple with security chips will not boot from anything other than internal security controlled storage, which also means if the internal storage fails the computer becomes a doorstop
Old 12-08-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I'll skip this update for now, definitely. Only when I have the time/inclination between jobs. Feb maybe...
In my opinion, Monterey is the culprit for some of the problems. If your running Intel on Big Sur, Protools 2021.12 seems to be running well. Even M1 on Big Sur works as far as I know,

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-08-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
In my opinion, Monterey is the culprit for some of the problems. If your running Intel on Big Sur, Protools 2021.12 seems to be running well. Even M1 on Big Sur works as far as I know,
Yes, Monterey 12.0 is a total disaster. However developers got seeded 12.1 release candidate just recently, so I for one am hoping things are improving.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Only the plugin manufacturers can provide the information, not iLok nor Avid.
True, and not all are good with such announcements.

I still don't understand how we've gone this long, in an industry which only continues to grow, without an umbrella organization to which all these developers can pour, or receive, information. Individuals and 3rd parties have tried creating plugin organizers which listed current versions of plugins and links to updates, but they failed because developers didn't cooperate, making their jobs difficult.

And I guess that answers my own question, but it would be helpful if the plugin industry was more organized and integrated. One app listing all your plugins and their current status, kept up-to-date by developers, or someone... I'll continue to dream.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:58 PM

This is pretty crude but, on macOS you can use the following in Terminal to enumerate plugin versions:

Code:
find "/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins" -name Info.plist -print -exec /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print CFBundleShortVersionString" "{}" \;
For better or worse, it also captures the version of PACE (iLok) against which the plugin was built, which may be useful with the current issue. I'll leave it to someone else to tabulate and prettify the output
Old 12-08-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Ah boy, thanks for the warning Janne. That IS a lot of work.

I'm on the latest Windows 10, just uninstalled Pro Tools 2021.10 and installed v2021.12. I have the Avid Complete Plug-in Bundle. I was not asked to move any of the Bundle's plug-ins to the Unused Plug-in Folder. I was asked to move the FB360 plug-ins to the Unused Plug-in Folder, because I had uninstalled it immediately after installing v2021.12 before actually opening the program. The reason I did that was because of some posts on the DUC about that particular plug-in causing issues.

I did have a complete image of my OS before doing any of the above so that if there were any problems I was 15 to 20 minutes from a working Pro Tools if something went wrong. FYI, I use Macrium Reflect - there is a free and paid version.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-08-2021, 07:45 PM

Still running Catalina and have no issues, so no reason to update either on this one. I was told months ago by Jeff Komar to just stay where I am for what I am doing. Glad I did, but I know others do not have that option.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS