Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-12-2003, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Best Single Channel Preamp?

You can't go wrong with the Brent Averill 1272 - price and performance champ.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tomhartman:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Produceher:
Brent Averill 1272
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, nice pre....had one for ages, but finally left it for the UA610 which I like better. <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's really suprising. Most people I know who have that unit say it is great for somethings but horrible for others. Not a great pre when you only have one.

If only getting one pre, I would get the neve.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:58 AM

Has anyone compared the Brent Averill 1272 with the one Dan Alexander makes?
Old 03-12-2003, 10:01 AM

Vipre or any Vintech re-issue!
Old 03-13-2003, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Lambrechts:
avalon M5 definately deserves to be mentioned
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How do the rest of you feel about the M5? It's the only decent pre I own and I'm looking to justify my purchase. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
I love it for recording bass when I'm really trying to capture the subtle nuances of a great bass played by a great bass player. Sometimes I think that I should trade it in on something with a little more warmth/color like a neve since I can only really afford one good pre right now.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:08 PM

Manley Vox Box seems to be the one for me now. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Donny:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Chris Lambrechts:
avalon M5 definately deserves to be mentioned
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How do the rest of you feel about the M5? It's the only decent pre I own and I'm looking to justify my purchase. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
I love it for recording bass when I'm really trying to capture the subtle nuances of a great bass played by a great bass player. Sometimes I think that I should trade it in on something with a little more warmth/color like a neve since I can only really afford one good pre right now.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Avalon M5 is one of the best mic pres out there. I don't own one myself, but I rember it having a very warm sond and it will not let you down. It has plenty of headroom for any situation. For bass, I always use my Avalon U5 DI. It has a line level out and has the best bottom response I've heard. I always try to buy mic preamps and mics in stereo pairs. I have 2 Neves, a Demeter, and the StudioTechnologies Mic Pre-Eminence. They make for a pretty wide range of sounds.

Steve
Old 03-14-2003, 06:20 AM

I'm getting a Great River MP2-NV today and I hope it meets my expectations. It's funny the psychological games we play with new equipment. We have such great expectations and the hope that now, this will change things and I can make great music! Sometimes we initially think something sounds better because we THINK it will. Hopefully its not all hype.....
Old 03-14-2003, 07:35 AM

I have two Avalon 737 mic pre's and they are great.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:10 AM

I used to have a Avalon 737 and I loved it. I sold it because I wasn't using it and since have replaced it with a second Neve 1272 (Averill) but I do miss it.

For clean but not sterile I loved it. The neve has more color but I think the Avalon was a little clearer. The EQ was great too. The compressor blows though.