Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 AM

Default Eleven Rack control window?

Can the Eleven Rack control window be opened when using the ER by itself? Also is there any plans of a VST Eleven Rack control window for non PT users?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack control window?

No standalone capability today. A standalone control panel is a frequent request. You can vote on it on ideascale.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

I guess if you use the 11R by itself, then there's no computer? Well than there's just the display, and all info is shown on the display screen.

But as far as running the 11R control window w/o PT, this is still not yet possible, or should i say "allowed".

What IS possible though, is running PT and the 11R Control Window w/o a session open. This actually takes very little resources, and really won't interfere with much of anything. (Depending on your comp I guess)

The drawback is if you are still on PT8 LE, PT will hijack the 11R as the interface, making it unusable as an interface in another DAW at the same time. But, if you have PT9, (theoretically, I haven't tried this) you can switch the PT's playback engine to any other interface, or even the internal speakers of a laptop, which would leave the 11R open for use with another DAW.

I base this on my use of the 11R connected through SPDIF to a RME Fireface 800 via the three cable method. When I run PT9, I have the playback engine set to the Fireface via firewire, but because the 11R is still hooked up through USB, I still have access to the control window.

EDIT: Actually, I just tried it with PT 9.0.1, and Ableton Live 8.2.1. It works.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 02-24-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
No standalone capability today. A standalone control panel is a frequent request. You can vote on it on ideascale.
Thanks! I posted a new idea, VST Eleven Rack Window.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgt621 View Post
I guess if you use the 11R by itself, then there's no computer? Well than there's just the display, and all info is shown on the display screen.

But as far as running the 11R control window w/o PT, this is still not yet possible, or should i say "allowed".

What IS possible though, is running PT and the 11R Control Window w/o a session open. This actually takes very little resources, and really won't interfere with much of anything. (Depending on your comp I guess)

The drawback is if you are still on PT8 LE, PT will hijack the 11R as the interface, making it unusable as an interface in another DAW at the same time. But, if you have PT9, (theoretically, I haven't tried this) you can switch the PT's playback engine to any other interface, or even the internal speakers of a laptop, which would leave the 11R open for use with another DAW.

I base this on my use of the 11R connected through SPDIF to a RME Fireface 800 via the three cable method. When I run PT9, I have the playback engine set to the Fireface via firewire, but because the 11R is still hooked up through USB, I still have access to the control window.

EDIT: Actually, I just tried it with PT 9.0.1, and Ableton Live 8.2.1. It works.
Wow that was a much better reply than mine. Thanks for the 9.0 interface tip.

I think one reason for a pure stand-alone interface is to avoid iLok hassles with 9.0. I'd like stand alone control software that is entirely license restriction free -- just install it anywhere you want to control an Eleven Rack from.

It would be nice to have that work in a demo mode without the Eleven Rack so potential purchasers can play with it and see what it can do. Fractal's Axe-Edit can be used like this for example. I'm not sure how feasible that is with the ElevenRack. (yes I know I should post this as a comment on Ideascale...)

Darryl
Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Avid

We'd definitely like to add a standalone guitar window. As a company we've of course been moving to a more open strategy, so in general we've been moving in that direction.

But even with PT8 you can open the Eleven Rack guitar window, while using a third party DAW. Just make sure you don't open a session in Pro Tools. And if you remove any extra plug-ins from the Pro Tools plug-ins folder you can significantly reduce the load time. I measured about 15 seconds on my computer with minimal plug-ins installed.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:04 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
We'd definitely like to add a standalone guitar window. As a company we've of course been moving to a more open strategy, so in general we've been moving in that direction.

But even with PT8 you can open the Eleven Rack guitar window, while using a third party DAW. Just make sure you don't open a session in Pro Tools. And if you remove any extra plug-ins from the Pro Tools plug-ins folder you can significantly reduce the load time. I measured about 15 seconds on my computer with minimal plug-ins installed.
Really? Damn, I couldn't ever get PT8 to work when Core Audio was using it for stuff like iTunes playback. Though I concede that I was more PT noob than I am now, and always had the quickstart box on startup.

I'd love to give it a run, but I have already upgraded to PT9! but yeah. I feel like there was a lot of things I missed, and I am currently trying to redo stuff I did when I first got the 11R now that I am more well versed in PT and the 11R.

This board is a constant learning experience, and soon we'll all be PT/11R Jedi and you won't have to hold on to our little baby hands anymore.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack