Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-04-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Problem with recording MIDI data

I have a ton of MIDI data arranged on a workstation. Recently I aquired protools and now I am transfering the gobs of data into pro tools. The only problem is that even though I set the tempo in PT to the same as my work station, when I record all the data into PT, it doesn't fit the grid right. So I figure, no big deal I'll just record it with quantization. When I do that though, theree are obvious (and not desireable) changes to the groove of the song. I have not set my MIDI offset yet, is that the reason? Or is it because I am recording 16 MIDI tracks at once, often times with a lot of data on each track. Or is the clock slightly different from my workstation and protools? If so what can I do to correct any of these things in order to have PT and my workstation compatible. Thank you.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Problem with recording MIDI data

Only 7 views? better bump
Old 01-04-2005, 08:18 PM

Is there a way to save your midi data as a midi file from your workstation then do an import midi file in Protools. You can select whether or not to use current session tempo during the import. What kind of workstation are you using?

RS
Old 01-06-2005, 03:11 AM

I dont know much about this, but from other posts Ive read, I think you have to set the source clock on either the workstation or PT and then stick an extra bar or two onto the front of your midi tracks. The reason for the extra bars is that PT needs that time to line it self up properly.
Something like that. Tell me how you do it, I need to know too a bit later.

Good luck
Old 01-10-2005, 06:04 AM

Yeah, I figured I might have to generate the source code from my workstation, but I have no idea how to do that. I tried setting the MMC to my workstation (I have a fantom s from yamaha btw) but then when I hit record, pro tools wouldn't record. I am hopelessly lost in this world of MIDI.

I also have another question: How do I get pro tools to recognize tempo changes when recording from my workstation? For example I have a song on my workstation with the tempo changes on it, but when I record it to pro tools, it doesn't recognize the tempo changes. Is there any other way than manually changing the tempo or not? Thank you.