Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2000, 11:55 PM

Default What\'s the best power conditioner for the buck???

I know you all have plenty of opinions, so lay 'em on me. Of course if lightning strikes you're screwed, but what about the moderately large spikes? What can handle these spikes without having to buy 15 amps of balanced power?

What are the good brands and models for the dollar?

Any to stay away from?

Thank you all for your time.
Old 09-29-2000, 06:59 PM

Default Re: What\'s the best power conditioner for the buck???

I've been using APC power Uninteruptible Power Supplies to run my PT systems for over 6 years, and have yet to experience any power-related problems. And because of where my editing room is, I often don't realize there's a storm raging until the lights flicker or go out. Their UPS's also filter all the line noise and provide a controlled voltage level to your gear.

Also, with UPS's large enough to power a whole PT rig, APC also offers a $25,000 insurance policy for gear damaged by a lightning hit, should their UPS not catch it. Their website may be worth a look (www.apc.com) — I'm a fan and HIGHLY recommend 'em (nope, I don't work for 'em)… not the cheapest, but then neither was your PT system, was it?!

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 09-30-2000, 10:47 AM

I agree with BD. APC has saved my ass on more than one occasion. It's nice to know that during a rolling brown out or complete outage, my rig will still be up and running long enough for me to save and shut down.

Cheers Craig
Old 09-30-2000, 11:11 AM

Another reason to stick with a name brand like APC is consumables. Several years after you buy a largish UPS, you're going to need replacement batteries, and APC is really on top of that sort of thing with a very informative website.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-30-2000, 09:42 PM

My personal philosophy is go with the UPS of your choice...but if you put your power thru a "shielded ultra-isolation" transformer first, and ground it properly (like KILLER ground it), you have a very good chance of keeping your system intact even with a lightning strike. They ain't cheap, like a grand for a 1KW unit (Staco ISO12008 from Newark) or $1300 for a 5kw unit, but how much is dead gear worth? !! My whole studio and computer system is on one, followed by a UPS....never so much as a tiny burp in 7 years from a power problem....
Old 09-30-2000, 11:48 PM

OK, maybe not THE BEST! I do like to hear your opinions on the best, but does anyone have any ideas for a cheaper product.

Thanks,

The Provoker
Old 10-01-2000, 09:00 PM

bump