Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2008, 04:51 PM

Default ProTools LE & GarageBand Compatibility?

I just purchased a MacBook Pro 15", 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo "Penryn" and love it! I also plan to buy ProTools LE/MBox 2 Pro for the holidays, yet, was first wondering about its installation process.

Do I simply install ProTools onto my MacBook Pro? If so, can I then switch back and forth with GarageBand? I would prefer to use both platforms if possible.

Or am i better off having my MacBook Pro be a dedicated ProTools platform thus removing GarageBand altogether before the ProTools installation?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Default Re: ProTools LE & GarageBand Compatibility?

You shouldn't have any problems using either/or. GB should allow you to make use of the Mbox via the core-audio driver.

You won't be able to use both at the same time, at least not through the Mbox...

To be honest, once you are a little familiar with PT, GB will seem like a toy. There may be a few specific instruments in GB that you might want, but then you're gonna have to record them in GB then export the audio for use in PT. I would also say that Xpand will cover pretty much all of the ground included with GB.. And it's included free with PT.

YMMV
Old 11-21-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks Flommer, I've heard similar stories and was planning on growing away from GarageBand as ProTools becomes more familiar. However, I can still foresee exchanging GarageBand files online with a friend in collaboration, that is, until I can convince him to go ProTools.

In the meantime, is Xpand similar to JamPacks? Is the one included with ProTools the full version?

I'm primarily a composer and need plugins that offer an extensive sound palette. I've also heard Reason is a good place to spend the extra bucks.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-21-2008, 06:56 PM

Well, it's hard to say what your expectations might be.. I haven't seen any of the specs on the Jampacks so I can't really compare the two. If the Jampacks include loops, then that is different from Xpand. It is a pre-packaged sample player that isn't expandable (ironically enough). It's just that it sounds very good and has a very nice selection of sounds out of the box..

Here is a link that will give you more info..

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...09&itemid=4784

Also, there is a new version of Xpand coming along with PT8, which is due in the next month or so. I think anybody buying a new PT rig at this point will get a free upgrade to PT8.

Once you are looking to spend some money on additional software instruments, then it starts becoming more about what specifics you feel you need to improve. For instance BFD, Strike, DFH, etc are all good sounding Drum instruments that run about $200-300, but they are drums only.. There are bigger software samplers, like Structure or Sampletank or Kontakt, that include BIG sample libraries in a wide variety of sounds for $300-500... If you are big into loops, then there are instruments that will specialize in that..
Old 11-21-2008, 08:41 PM

Great thread;

I just got an Mbox 2 pro and I'm also doing the same thing. However i'll be using my MBox 2 pro with my iMac and and my MacBook pro.

Are there simple accurate instructions available for this "useing of the Mbox via the core-audio driver" setup?

I appreciate any help the novice can get to get this off the ground.

Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
You shouldn't have any problems using either/or. GB should allow you to make use of the Mbox via the core-audio driver.

You won't be able to use both at the same time, at least not through the Mbox...

To be honest, once you are a little familiar with PT, GB will seem like a toy. There may be a few specific instruments in GB that you might want, but then you're gonna have to record them in GB then export the audio for use in PT. I would also say that Xpand will cover pretty much all of the ground included with GB.. And it's included free with PT.

YMMV
Old 11-24-2008, 02:19 PM

Bump
Old 11-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Have you tried it? When I launch Garage Band, the core audio driver launches automatically.. Can you choose the Mbox 2 Pro as your default output device in Sound Preferences (on the Mac, not PT)? Maybe you haven't installed it? Do a search on the Digi website for the driver, reinstall and see where you are.. It may work differently for Mbox 2 Pro.. Not sure about that
Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM

My 2-cents worth:

I still use GarageBand for quick audio beds in my video production.
The loops are no-brainer and fast.
Still, the audio quality isn't as high as what Pro Tools can deliver.
GB only supports a sample rate of 44.1K and a bit depth of 16.

I use my PT for more serious work.

There is one thing I like about GB, though.
When using the "Real Instruments", there are some steller effects to choose from.
Maybe its my ignorance of PT plug-ins, but I can't find certain sounds there that match the GB effects in their guitar menu (i.e., "Dreamy Shimmer", "Surf", etc...).
And no, I don't have the bucks to buy even more plug-ins.

I'm toying with an idea and was wondering if anyone has tried this:
On my laptop Mac, with GB up and running and my guitar plugged in with effect on, then take an audio-out (headphone jack) to my MBox (or 003) and into my G5 Mac and lay down the guitar track.

I'll try it this weekend - however, if anyone has a word of advice, I'm open.
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 PM

Doc, it will work because I do it all the time when I want to create ringtones for my friend's cell phones, and I just record what's coming out of the Mac DvD player software. From there I add compression, EQ etc... to taste.
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 11-25-2008, 08:12 PM

Thanks!
PreSonus DigiMAX FS