Default Re: recording with fast track pro and 003rack simultaneosly

Yes and yes.

As always with cables, get spares.

Darryl
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam View Post
hey thanks darryl, Yesterday i ordered an ART DPS II stereo tube preamp with digital out...

I have read very good reviews about it!

I am aware that the 003 is outdated, but I don't really see why I should substitute it. I still have 8 more inputs via adat lightpipe!!

And these ART DSP II can be daisy chained and sinchronize in case I get in love with them..

If I want better converters all I have to do is but an Aurora lynx or something like that...

Or Am i missing something here in terms of upgrading without having to go the HD route?

Thanks man, share some light, because someday very soon I will have to think about upgrading!!
I would not loose any sleep on what could be, I would wear out your 003 until Pro Tools software/driver compatibility or need for more capability end its useful life, and by then you'll better know what your needs are and you'll be able to look at HD or whatever Thunderbolt or USB3 options are available in the market at that time.

Darryl
Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 AM

darryl not to sound dumb but what does aggregate ins and outs mean. i think this issue is whats wrong with me. i have a liquid channel and a rosetta 200. my big ben clocks those 2 and the 003. my rosetta 200 is connected to the 003 with s/pdif for monitoring purposed. i cant figure out how to take the digital audio from my liquid channel and get it into my protools so i can record it. can i get protools to see the rosetta spdif to record? all i can think to do is connect aes from channel into aes in on rosetta which is already connected to 003 via spdif. or possibley connect aes out from focusrite into DI input trs with an adapter. can you help me on the best way to do this. Do i need to use the 003 as the way to get into pro tools 9.0.6? im just completely lost and i have been trying to figure it out all week. i would be so grateful for your advice
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 AM

Aggregate is a Mac only function that allows the computer to see and use inputs from multiple devices that are compatible with the function(and 002/003 are not as said). With digitally connected devices thru the 003, the computer(and Pro Tools sees all as the 003. If you look at this page/window: (in Pro Tools) SETUP>IO>Input tab, you should see a grid. It may be only showing 8 inputs(the analog inputs of the 003) and 2 outputs(the MAIN outs of the 003). With external preamps connected to the optical and SPDIF inputs, hit the DEFAULT button this input setup page. If that does nothing, then just click on the "Add Path" button and add(select 8 paths if you are setting up an 8 channel preamp on lightpipe). Then you can name the paths(indeed you can name ALL of them) and click on the grid to make the "virtual" patching. Taking some time to learn how(and why) to navigate and customize the IO setup will be well worth it

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 PM

thank you for the advice and let me apologize in advance as well as i know some of this will be ignorant. i appreciate you taking time out to help a new music guy like me. i have studied the hal leanard recording method books by bill gibson(6 books) and others for about 2 years and have a decent understanding of signal path but i am just now trying to use protools and set up my ins and outs so i can finally record. Taking your advice i spent some time with the ins and outs and i was able to accomplish some. On the ins and outs it seed my 003 as having 10 outputs(on the right top of the output tab the 003 is labeled "A". I figured out that outputs 9 and 10 are the rosetta analog outputs and was able to listen to tracks by adding an stereo output and putting the L and R in the 9 and 10 boxes. I still cant figure out how to set up my mic into protools. Do the inputs and outputs need to be hot or have cables in them to be seen? how to i take my liquid channel into protools with my current set up. i can either go 1. aes out LC into aes in on the rosetta which is already connected to 003 via spdif 2. go optical out LC adat into optical rosetta 3. go optical out LC ADAT into 003 optical in. thank you for all input.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 PM

if protools sees the factory 003 and rosetta as one will there be clocking issues. should i still send the big ben to clock both of them. thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapajk View Post
if protools sees the factory 003 and rosetta as one will there be clocking issues. should i still send the big ben to clock both of them. thanks
Pro Tools is not seeing anything "as one". Pro Tools only sees the 003 and that is all it cares about. You just happen to be feeding one of the 003 digital inputs with ADAT data from an ADAT preamp. Pro Tools does not know anything except the dumb data the 003 passes it. However the 003 won't get good uncorrupted data from the ADAT preamp unless they are either clocked from a common source (like your Big Ben) or one of them is tied to clock from the other.

You can do lots of things, if you have a Big Ben providing clocking to both boxes then that is fine. Most simpler/cheaper setups would just start with the 003 clocking from the ADAT preamp over the optical link. Make sure each box is correctly set to clock from the Big Ben, not just that the Big Ben is connected to the boxes.

Why are you asking? Is this still not working?

Darryl
Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 AM

yea man its still not working. i messed with it for about five hours tonight. I dont have any digital cables to take from the liquid channel because i havent got advice on which way i should digitally hook up the liquid channel to this system. so i just took the analog out of the LC for now into the analog in on the rosetta to test the I/O. i got a signal from the lc but could not get the digital signal into protools. I changed the setup>hardware from spdif to adat. it then added 8 optical inputs and still spdif at the end. i moved the spdif inputs to the spdif and it worked. i was getting the digital signal into a recordable track. i have both the rosetta and 003 clocked to the big ben. this only worked after i clocked the 003 to spdif with the adat setting not the spdif. then i changed it back to word clock and it still worked fine. why would it work on adat when i am using spdif coaxial cables? i dont get it. NOW THE ROSETTA WILL NOT play the master track or any tracks out. now the spdif signal will not leave the 003. please help me and sorry if fuzzy i have been up six hours messing with this. i appreciate all your help.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 AM

I am getting lost. What box do you want to use as your interface?

Can you be precise on everything you have. This is a 003 console or 003 rack or 003+ rack? a Rosetta 200 or 800? and a Focusrite liquid channel strip? Which if these are connected by any cables (USB, Firewire etc) to the computer.

What is the playback engine set to in Pro Tools setup> playback engine?

Describe every cable connecting your interface box (003?) to the other boxes. Exactly what cable what goes from what to where.

Darryl
Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 AM

playback engine is the 003 .......... my rosetta 200 is connected to my 003 via s/pdif coaxial cables. i just figured one thing out..under setup>hardware under the 003 its gives you your optical setting. when i put this on adat it allows me to record and i get a signal into protools but get now signal out(the rosetta gets a no signal from the 003 coaxial cable). when i put this setting on S/PDIF rosetta gets a signal and i can hear a track on my speakers but i cannot record or get data into protools, only out. basically when its on adat i can get data in not out and when its on spdif i can get data out not in. in both cirumstances both interfaces are slaved to the big ben. i appreciate it so much man