Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2004, 04:41 AM

Default Deleting files that I don\'t need

Hi, this one's probably a case of RTFM, but I really have done just that...and lost files when acting as stated below...

I know I can "select unused regions" in ProTools, and then delete them from disk. Is this the best way to get rid of files (takes, dubs, etc) you don't need in order to minimize disk space? Is this 101 percent safe for the audio files included in the final version of the song, and will they playback without problems??

Grateful for all answers and tips/tricks (if there are any).

BR
Mattias Beijmo
Old 01-10-2004, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Deleting files that I don\'t need

well let´s say 99%, safe

a region is NOT an audiofile or midi take, it´s just a ´marker´ for a selected chunk within a physical existing file.
You have two options:

1.delete unused regions
2.delete unused regionsexcept audiofiles

First will remove or delete everything, remember when your REMOVE files these are still in your session folder
second will leave your original audio untouched whatever you do. just the ´slicing´info will go.
As a definition: Unused is ERVERYTHING that is NOT in the Edit window.
And will not affect playback.

If you are unsure you may can first "Save a Session Copy" (file menu) in another place and then start cleaning your the session of your choice.

hope this helped
best
Old 01-10-2004, 10:09 AM

If you are deleting audio you have imported from another session remember it will be deleted from that session too. If you are backing up at end of a project there is a sure way to do. Consolidate all audio which will re-copy all audio in the session you have on display. Then look in the audio files folder and delete all audio with an old date. Whatever you do make a back-up on another drive to cover any mistakes. This process usually halves the size of my sessions before backing up to DVD.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:42 AM

Thanks, Thin Ice - I now realize this (importing from other sessions) is what I've done when experiencing problems (well, BIG problems) with deleting the "unused" data.

cheers
Mattias Beijmo