Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2022, 01:17 PM

Default Avid has reopened the sale on reinstatements

It appeares Avid has reopened the sale on reinstatements that I thought ended june 30th. I got emails all of june, but I heard nothing of this. I checked "my products" on Avid, and I can buy a Studio reinstatement (PT12+) for 220 euros.

Thanks to Dor at Gearspace.
Old 07-16-2022, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Avid has reopened the sale on reinstatements

👍🏻
Old 07-16-2022, 09:45 PM

It sucks though. Because if you let your perpetual license expire, and then traded it for a subscription, because the get current option was no longer available a year or two ago, you now can’t go back and get current again, even through that option is available in your account. It won’t work as the Avid store will tell yu that you don’t have an upgradable iLok license.

You are then only locked into being able to buy subscriptions, even though the get current option was not available a year or more ago.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 07-16-2022, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
It sucks though. Because if you let your perpetual license expire, and then traded it for a subscription, because the get current option was no longer available a year or two ago, you now can’t go back and get current again, even through that option is available in your account. It won’t work as the Avid store will tell yu that you don’t have an upgradable iLok license.

You are then only locked into being able to buy subscriptions, even though the get current option was not available a year or more ago.
That’s why the majority of us were saying (if not screaming) in all the forum: DO NOT LET GO TO YOUR PERPETUAL LICENCE!!!!!

Subscription is goodfor Avid, but not for us, customers. In fact is the worst thing I rather have a lapsed perpetual than be on the latest version.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:13 AM

So if you have an expired perpetual license and want to try subscription, the best thing is to start a 2nd iLok account.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
That’s why the majority of us were saying (if not screaming) in all the forum: DO NOT LET GO TO YOUR PERPETUAL LICENCE!!!!!
Exactly this. It was a little depressing to see the Pro Tools Expert guys join in, trying to convince everyone that subs were better value.

One of the awful things about Avid is the way they do this sort of thing. One moment they encourage perpetual owners to get subs. Then they take that away and encourage you to get up to date with perpetual. But that ends soon. Only it doesn’t. But then it might soon for real. Or not.

Always moving the goalposts… it’s like an abusive relationship.

I think getting one of these reinstatement codes (from retailers, NOT the Avid store where it applies immediately) is the best of a bad situation for insurance. The updates are extremely poor value at the moment, nowhere near $400pa for Ultimate users (that’s the cost of a whole DAW with anyone else), but no-one wants to run the risk that their license is useless in future if you do need to update for OS reasons etc. Just keep a hold of those codes, and they’ll always be worth what you paid anyway.

Unless they move the goalposts again… but they wouldn’t do that to us, would they? They love us, right?

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 07-17-2022, 05:53 AM

Avid, have understand that there is A LOT OF MONEY to make with these reinstatement offers. I would have never upgraded if i haven't got this offer and i will never subscribe.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
It was a little depressing to see the Pro Tools Expert guys join in, trying to convince everyone that subs were better value.
Pro Tools Expert is like Avid’s little doggy pet. They will go where ever Avid is heading. Don’t be fooled, they are not with us customers, they are writing exactly what Avid wants to hear. They are Avid’s propaganda, like what news are today, trying to lead/convince people to their interests. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have some kind of agreement (just to say the least)

I’m pretty sure I’m going to be flamed about this post.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Pro Tools Expert is like Avid’s little doggy pet. They will go where ever Avid is heading. Don’t be fooled, they are not with us customers, they are writing exactly what Avid wants to hear. They are Avid’s propaganda, like what news are today, trying to lead/convince people to their interests. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have some kind of agreement (just to say the least)

I’m pretty sure I’m going to be flamed about this post.
"Production Experts" is a business, they say what their client wants them to say, simple as that. Also Avid needs a shill and they serve just that. It's the only site that posts frequent information about Avid, the other sites don't give a $hi+e.

The articles that project Avid's goals are so biased and ridiculous at the same time, that gives a good laugh, honestly. I remember those with the subscription push, were so full of corporate crap, that it was like reading the Financial Times....LOL!
They use to have a podcast...maybe the most booooriiiing thing in the entire web, but they gave up now...i guess they got so bored too!

Jokes aside, they post some interesting articles from time to time, with some useful info, of course not the ProTools related.

Cheers!
Old 07-17-2022, 02:22 PM

Hey Ben - Can you tell me where you see this? I have Pro Tools 11 and there's nothing in my product page to suggest an upgrade.

When I enquired about this a couple of months back Avid directed me to third party re-sellers. Only ONE of the 4 UK listed companies bothered to reply. I didn't buy it at the time and I'm still on the fence about it, but for 220€ I may go for it, I live in France and that price is significantly lower than I was quoted from UK reseller.

Looking at the Avid FAQ it would appear I'm eligible (all versions from 9 upwards) but they - helpfully - don't provide any information or links as to how / where to buy. And if Googled the number of confusing sales pitches that come up, well, we all knowhow hard it is to understand Avid's terminology.

Thanks in advance!